Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed 3D Odamex Projekt for AROS SNEEK PEEK  (Read 3648 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Alien Breed 3D Odamex Projekt for AROS SNEEK PEEK
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglfwJlBx5Y

Be sure to set Youtube to play video in HD else it will look crappier than usual!

Please pardon the Quake III weapons, they are filler until I or someone else can create some fresh new weapon sprites. The ones in the Aminet sources are too horrid to be used.

Will run on AROS thus far, hopefully some day MorphOS and OS 4 will also receive ports of Odamex so they can run this. Also works just fine on the classic XBOX btw.

Since it is Odamex I will of course be supporting on-line and networked multi-player which is a must for Alien Breed anyhow.

More to come.

Thankx to BSzili for the Odamex port.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:36:16 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
Re: Alien Breed 3D Odamex Projekt for AROS SNEEK PEEK
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
Have to say I'm enjoying this so far!! Great work so far :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:34 AM »
Looks good, though instead of using the Aliens from the Aliens franchise; have you considered using the original Alien Breed 3D alien from the demo. The one that didn't make it to the full game.
I think it would be more faithful to AB.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
Quote from: foleyjo;727592
Looks good, though instead of using the Aliens from the Aliens franchise; have you considered using the original Alien Breed 3D alien from the demo. The one that didn't make it to the full game.
I think it would be more faithful to AB.

I've got him, got something special in store for his behaviors in fact, but he is not ready to display yet.

As for why I have Xenophobes from the Alien franchise, that would be because Alien Breed I, II, and Tower feature Face Huggers and the Black Xenophones and the goal of this project is to create a new Alien Breed 3D that draws inspiration and uses resources from all the the Amiga releases. Don't worry though, the majority of this project is created using original Alien Breed resources if not new resources I created or barrowed to add to the texture selection which was pretty limited where there Alien Breed 3D resources on Aminet are concerned.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Looks really really great.  Can't wait to see what you do next!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:49:59 AM »
OK, I'm going to work on him now. ;)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »

Offline JGB

• Show only replies by JGB
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
Looks very good!  Are you going to use the sounds from the original?  They added a whole lot to the game.  
AB3D is one of my faves.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »
Thank you! :)

Sounds (from various Alien Breeds) are included, and I agree, they do add a lot to the game! :)

I could not include them in the video because I was having trouble recording audio at the time so I just made a custom sound track for filler.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:25:30 PM by XDelusion »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »
You really ought to let me replace your textures...... @_@ They're terrifying to look at.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »
Just a little update.

I've been working my butt off. Just started 2 jobs (now I'm half self employed!) and have been busy as hell and spending a LOT of time sleeping, trying to adjust my self to wake up at around 5AM rather than fall asleep around then. ;)

On top of that I've been reading Star Wars: Darth Plagueis and of course have been taking my time as Star Wars is one of those universes that requires one to look up a lot of things in relation to the timeline of events, alien species, and the like.

That being said, it has been a couple weeks since I've spent much quality time on the AB3D project, but alas I've been hammering at it for the past three days and have expanded the demonstration map even more and am trying to create a starting point for it, which the character will arrive at from the levels that will eventually come before it.

As those of you who have one of my various works in progress pWADs have seen, the palette and textures are a bit of a mess in some places so I've been at work trying to weed out the textures I will not be using, and introducing new ones. I've a couple people working on new textures for me as well, so once I have a pretty good idea what textures I am not going to be using I'll be going through and applying either one of my new palettes, or one that Fish or another guy is working on.

I don't have the time I did have when unemployed, but I'm still focused on releasing a version 1.0 (or what ever by this summer).

Thankx again to everyone for the interest!

BTW: Anyone know of a good place to host a free web page for this, that is one that is free or nearly free of those annoying banner ads?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 01:07:42 AM »
Holy crap, speaking of the Palette...

The classic DOOM engine has a Palette of 256 colors. This is due to the fact that that was the color limit of the standard VGA display at the time. Meanwhile the Amiga was capable of displaying thousands of colors at one time, hence the reason the Alien Breed color palette far surpasses that of DOOM, and therefore Odamex's current 256 color limitation.

Well this appears to soon be a thing of the past in regards to Odamex. I was just talking on the Odamex IRC channel and received these two images demonstrating one of the upcoming features in Odamex...

32 bit color!!! :)

8 bit color:

32 bit color:

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
Its looking good :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730042
Holy crap, speaking of the Palette...

The classic DOOM engine has a Palette of 256 colors. This is due to the fact that that was the color limit of the standard VGA display at the time. Meanwhile the Amiga was capable of displaying thousands of colors at one time, hence the reason the Alien Breed color palette far surpasses that of DOOM, and therefore Odamex's current 256 color limitation.

Well this appears to soon be a thing of the past in regards to Odamex. I was just talking on the Odamex IRC channel and received these two images demonstrating one of the upcoming features in Odamex...

Why no OpenGL renderer, I wonder? Engines like Doomsday and such have had them for ages.
int p; // A