Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What makes the -playability- of a game?  (Read 1764 times)

Description:

Offline Targhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
Re: What makes the -playability- of a game?
« on: August 03, 2003, 02:16:47 AM »
The two most important factors of a game are:

1. The Pull

2. The Push

These encompass what you are looking for and what you are dancing around (Growth, Relief, etc).

"The Pull" is something that entices the player to investigate something.  A reward, a secret treasure to rack up a score, a secret game, a chance to catch a boob shot, whatever.

"The Push," coversly, is something that forces the player to move along.  A damsel in distress, a treasure is stolen from the character, something that entices a strong negative emotion. (Think of when Aereth died in FF7, Sephiroth ran her through with a sword while as a player you could only watch in suspence.  This pushes the player to desire some level of revenge against Sephiroth.)  

Once the emotional aspect is attained, particularly in RPGs and Graphic Adventures, the rest is just academic.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
Re: What makes the -playability- of a game?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 06:30:25 PM »
:-)

The push and pull aren't just about atmosphere, it's about moving the game along.  Even a good shooter needs something to interupt the playing time, giving the player a felling that he is partaking in something larger.  The story is everything in most games.  Even the better platformers had something behind them, driving the player.

BTW, Ilwrath's name and icon was from a classic Amiga game, Star Control.  In fact, it is also one of my all time favorite games too!  I had it for both the Amiga and my Genesis.  It was, erm IS, better on the Amiga than on the Genesis. :-)
Regards,
Targhan