Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pirates and TOSEC sucks  (Read 8512 times)

Description:

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
Re: Pirates and TOSEC sucks
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2003, 05:56:23 AM »
thats not piracy...

It is if your friend is holding a Coke can that has coca cola's trademarked wave displayed.  Taking a picture of this without express written permission is an illegal copy of thier trademark, and thus "piracy".

this might come as a shock, but in my early to mid teens i was a bit of a pirate, i always had this guilty feeling, and eventually i realised i was completly wrong - i can respect others who have done wrong in their past... thats what forgivness is all agout  you have to give people a chance to change...

What you call forgiveness, others would call hypocracy.  "I got mine, now we should stop everybody else."

are you suggesting you want the law to change? i believe that if 99% of people are doing somthing wrong, it doesnt make that right - its still evil IMAO

YES, I am suggesting I want the law to change.  The idea of copying someone as being wrong is a new concept that was created with the relatively new idea of copyright.  For thousands of year, humanity, AND business functioned perfectly fine without copyright.

"Evil"???  Illegal, yes.  But evil?  You must be kidding?!?!?!  Everything created is derivitive, right down to the words you used to write your response.  If copying someone is "evil" as opposed to illegal, all humanity is evil from the begining of speech onward.

Or, are you saying that it is illegal, and doing something that is illegal is "evil"?  If so, changing the law makes it not "evil" anymore.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2003, 06:49:22 AM »
I dont think there is anything wrong with pirating something to 'LEARN" ... but pirating something to do work with ...then your just a piece of sh*t and deserve club fed.

Offline Damion

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2003, 07:00:40 AM »
Exactly meerschaum...if you're profiting off of
stolen software I think that's definately an
offense, the rest falls into different 'grey -
areas'.

@refelect
I wouldn't be too worried about an old '96 amiga
game though...especially if the original
developers are already payed out and the game
is unobtainable (and I don't count ebay).
Who cares??? The six people who actually
download it probably won't even use it
except for 5 minutes of novelty...

Offline Belial6

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2003, 07:02:33 AM »
Which just shows that piracy is a gray issue.  I'm not saying that the original idea of copyright is wrong.  I am saying that the monstrosity that it has become IS wrong.

Offline Damion

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2003, 07:22:56 AM »
@Belial6

I'd have to agree with that fully. We can't
regulate every specific action, nor should we.

There's an old Chinese proverb...'the tighter
one grips a handful of sand, the more sand slips
through the fingers' or something to that affect.

Unfortunately (at least here in the US) the
problem is worsening, a good example is some
of our over-zealous drug laws.

Offline Jupp3

• Show only replies by Jupp3
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2003, 08:27:50 AM »
Ah, talk about copy protection being evil...

Well, unless, you've noticed, same is now happening in the music
industry...

They release CD's, that won't work on computers, DVD players, some CD
players etc. for the simple reason, they couldn't be copied
(Anyway, they CAN be, but not everyone can play them)

So, tell me...

Boycotting copy protected CD's (which I sure do)

m I evil pirate aiming to destroy music industry, or just another
individual trying to convince record companies to follow common
standards?

Offline Belial6

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2003, 09:16:29 AM »
Boycotting copy protected CD's (which I sure do)

Your more generous than me...I have stopped buying CDs all together since the music industry started intentionally selling defective (copy protected) CDs.  I don't want to have to deal with the hassel of trying to force a store to take back a CD, so out of fear of getting a defective (copy protected) CD, I have stopped all purchases.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2003, 09:37:46 AM »
Copy protection is pathetic and  just pisses people off, a good example is  PC games, why the hell should i install a game to harddrive when  the game bombards me with "Insert cd x" messages.

NO-CD cracks are a godsend.

As for this fantastic audio cd protection, to bypass it use a ordinary felt tip pen (not permanant) and draw over the last track and copy it with CloneCD etc  :lol:  then wipe the ink off.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2003, 09:56:33 AM »
@Paul_Gadd

NO-CD cracks are a godsend

You are dead right, no cd cracks have saved the life of my cds and drives

As for this fantastic audio cd protection, to bypass it use a ordinary felt tip pen

I used two small bits of electrical tape
Ni72ous

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2003, 10:03:28 AM »
a CD is differant then an app is differant then a movie... a CD is music, its non-essential and you learn nothing from owning it... you are in effect stealing it if you download an MP3... an app? how else is a 14 year old kid going to learn 3D? or 2D? he dosent have 1500 to spend on the app....so its in everyones intrest he gets it for free and learns it... the expensive industry standerd app... and goes on to buy it and contribute... most companies would be out of business if it wherent for piracy in the software business... e.g Quark,Adobe,Macromedia,NewTek and most certinly Alias|Wavefront... by ignoring pirates and produceing the top-tier apps they in effect lay seed for market enuchia wich helps them in the long run.

Offline Jaruzel

• Show only replies by Jaruzel
    • http://www.Jaruzel.com
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2003, 10:30:34 AM »
Can just chip in for a moment...

ALL of the TOSEC disks are regularly posted on USENet. Shutting the site down wont make them go away. This is one case where the Whack-A-Mole philosophy definately applies.

I have, for my sins, a CD of TOSEC demos and games, none of it any newer than 1997 (according to the wonderful TOSEC naming system).

I have these so that I can on occasion take a trip down memory lane. How else would I have done this ? camped on eBay spending 100s of pounds? I think not...

In short, if you can still buy it, buy it. If not, then be creative and get a copy.

Incidently what is the default copyright lifetime of software?

-Jar.
Enlightened Gurus Always Meditate.
Custom MUD Server | See My A1200D(Sparc)
[A1200D(Sparc) / 68040-33Mhz]

Offline Ni72ous

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2003, 10:39:35 AM »
How are tosec pirates?
Check for your self there are no rom/adf images on there site Look for your self

You cant blame Tosec for other sites that distribute rom/adfs, PE "i wont post link or full name" as far as i know are not affiliated with Tosec
Ni72ous

Offline raddydaddy

• Show only replies by raddydaddy
    • http://www.canneddreams.com
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2003, 01:42:07 PM »
oh my.

how wrong  is this thread!

the way i look at this fiasco; there is not enough revenue in the Amiga sector (and there hasn't been for five years +) for new software developments that can compete with programs on other platforms. This is the real reason that Amiga is no longer a viable desktop alternate and is considered an 'enthusiasts' or 'niche' computer. (exactly the same as Acorn, Spectrum, Atari ... ).

An example, the majority of Amiga software has been written by bedroom coders or groups of community members. Generally this software is realeased as shareware or freeware on AmiNET - the largest source of free software in the world. This is the reason that the community still exists and is strong.

TOSEC is a similar sort of community - trying to keep records of software for discontinued computer systems.  the database is comprehensive but only contains useful details of the software such as year of release, publishers, version and compatability issues for emulation. in absolutely no way are TOSEC hosting illegal files - if anybody can find .adf files or the kickroms mentioned, feel free to critise me!

The truth of the matter is this - the banning on this URL is hopelessly killing the amiga spirit, not piracy. most of the files in the database are abandonware or past commercial software. stop wasting your efforts on trying to rubbish other's enthusiasms.

If you want to contribute to the future of the amiga before driving the community away -  get your ideas together, discuss possible concepts, chat about the future, give opinions about software betas...

CONTRIBUTE YOUR CREATIVITY!
\\\\.._________[Xe]54___________../

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2003, 08:05:46 PM »
NitrousB wrote:
How are tosec pirates?
Check for your self there are no rom/adf images on there site Look for your self
You cant blame Tosec for other sites that distribute rom/adfs, PE "i wont post link or full name" as far as i know are not affiliated with Tosec

Suffice to say, the link that was removed was not to that website but to one where you could clearly download Kickstart Rom files and other software.

I think the thread title is confusing people.

Go back and read the first post that starts this thread. The offending site is named in that post.

Offline Ni72ous

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2003, 08:13:37 PM »
@GadgetMaster

If you reread my post you will see the initials of the offending site, i know what site was distributing the roms, but there is no need to call tosec pirates as they are not distributing nothing
Ni72ous

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 24, 2003, 08:14:52 PM »
How was the A500+ "a step forward"?  It was either KS2.x, 1MB chip - can't remember... even if it had both of those who would have cared at the time?