Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Multi-User/Security/Open Standards  (Read 2553 times)

Description:

Offline tonydTopic starter

• Show only replies by tonyd
Amiga Multi-User/Security/Open Standards
« on: January 23, 2015, 04:25:33 PM »
I've tried several alternative OS's.  I haven't tried the new Amiga yet.  If I get around to developing software, it is one of the platforms I plan to support.  What I'm hoping is that they'll add multi-user features, with security.  I hope it will be much simpler than Unix-type systems, with their permissions issues, etc.  We don't need all that.  I hate it when I transfer a file from one system to another and it won't let me open or edit the file because it says I don't have permission.  That's just irritating.  Swap space should always be encrypted in the modern world.  I know there's no such thing as perfect security, and security causes complications.  Amiga wouldn't have to become a server to be the best desktop.  I imagine I would use OpenBSD for servers and Amiga for desktops.  My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:27:58 PM by tonyd »

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga Multi-User/Security/Open Standards
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
@tonyd,

This is one thing I think is needed. At bare minimum a password to get in, You really don't want someone who "thinks" they know computers to be able to get in and screw the pooch. A bit better would be to have 2 passwords, 1 master that would allow anything and a guest one that wont allow any system changes for the genius mentioned above.

Chris

PS: Welcome to AOrg.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:17:58 PM by QuikSanz »

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Thanks, QuizSanz.  Or maybe some kid is playing a game, and he doesn't know anything about your system, and accidentally deletes important files.  Or someone just turns on the computer and starts reading your email.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:54:58 PM by tonyd »

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »
Maybe if they do have multiple permission levels in the file systems, they could let you set (as the administrator) enforcement levels for your system, globally or per drive, etc. Permissions, of course, are only one issue.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »
Quote from: tonyd;782216
Maybe if they do have multiple permission levels in the file systems, they could let you set (as the administrator) enforcement levels for your system, globally or per drive, etc. Permissions, of course, are only one issue.

Amiga has no security. There is no memory protection and programs can read memory contents of other processes at anytime.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »
Quote from: itix;782224
Amiga has no security. There is no memory protection and programs can read memory contents of other processes at anytime.

There's a concept in IT security called "security through obscurity".  The Amiga practices the next layer, "security through complete %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!ing oblivion."
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 02:30:22 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;782226
There's a concept in IT security called "security through obscurity".  The Amiga practices the next layer, "security through complete %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!ing oblivion."

Like :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:01:26 AM »
Quote from: itix;782224

I do remember something about a program that required some kind of input for the machine to  completely boot but that was long ago, don't remember.

Chris

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 04:05:03 AM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;782238
I do remember something about a program that required some kind of input for the machine to completely boot but that was long ago, don't remember.

All kinds of programs like that on Aminet.  Stick them early in your startup-sequence and they'll prompt for a password before allowing you to proceed.  Easily bypassed but better than nothing.  I think the guys on this thread want something a little more secure.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 04:11:30 AM »
Joe ignorant will not know how to do that, semi safer at least. I guess you could use dual boot and make 1 with this and 1 without and it would do what I want.

Offline kolla

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 04:14:33 AM »
The only way to accomplish this is by using a diferent and secure OS under AmigaOS and let the "amiga experience" run within the context of the logged in user. Not much different from running UAE within a user context on Windows/Linux or whatever. MorphOS has this possibility in principle, the entire "user experience" runs as an instant ontop of Quark, in theory many instances could be run simultaniously.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »
m68k Debian and PPC Debian have both been restarted as living projects for the Amiga, but, at that point a trashcan "core duo" (as in: can literally find in the trash behind office buildings) machine is about a hojillion times more useful.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
There is the 2 factor Security authentication and authorisation concept of "Something I have" and "Something I know".   Put those together in a sentence such as:
"I know I have an Amiga and I wont let anyone else screw with it." And provided you have good physical security you should be okay.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:10 AM »
There's also this old thing. For 68K Amigas only, though. Only slightly more secure than a startup-sequence password prompt.

Envoy, the networking package, also had some limited security features, but I think they only work via remotely shared devices, not for users on the local machine.

On the hardware side, there's this, which should prevent access to the system as long as you can prevent someone from opening your machine. I think the newer Flash ROM cards can do something similar.

Basically, the most secure a maximally-secured Amiga can be is "can prevent someone from accidentally moving/deleting something, maybe." A moderately experienced user could bypass anything currently available with little effort. The good news for most of us is that almost anyone other than ourselves who might be using our Amigas is not going to be a moderately experienced user :)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »
Quote from: tonyd;782215
Thanks, QuizSanz.  Or maybe some kid is playing a game, and he doesn't know anything about your system, and accidentally deletes important files.  Or someone just turns on the computer and starts reading your email.

Not sure where AmigaOS is on these things, but MorphOS offers a basic (single) user/password login option on bootup (disabled by default).
Theres also Kryptos (file/partition/drive encryption suite) for anything and everything, system drive excluded (afair).

System files aren't protected from deletion, but randomly deleting lots of files from the system drive is going to end badly on any system. :)

As for someone 'just reading your e-mails', on a basic level that's really down to the application and user options. Not sure whether YAM/Simplemail offer file encryption, but again these can be stored in encrypted space using Kryptos if so desired.
(At one point I did experiment with an encrypted user drive, but got tired of entering another password every bootup.)

For lower level security, you might be interested in checking Bruce Schneier's blog... nothing to do with Amiga, but interesting if your into that sort of geeky goodness.
His fundamental rule seems to be that security should be designed in from the start at all levels, and not bolted on afterwards using duct tape. ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:15:37 AM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)