Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Guru Book 2nd Edition petition  (Read 10460 times)

Description:

Offline Gavilan

• Show only replies by Gavilan
    • http://coming soon....
Re: Amiga Guru Book 2nd Edition petition
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 23, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
Ok, i have just signed in the petition
Im number 317. that number makes a good number to, at least, release the book in the form "Print on Demand" i guess
C= & Amiga user & abuser since 1986
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
Quote from: runequester;617495
Exactly. Nice and easy.

I believe a similar suggestion was made at the time as with lulu.com being used as the suggested POD people to go to. Hell it might even have been me :D

I do think however Hardlink has the right of it on this one though with his post.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 01:26:45 AM »
Does anyone here know Ralph Babel personally?

Is there any chance of reviving the completion of a revised, or 2nd Edition of Ralph's famous Guru Book?

I have tried to find an English copy of the original book for years, but have always been out-bid for it.  I would still like to get an original copy of his 1st Edition English Guru Book, but would prefer to see an updated 2nd Edition, which might have more recent information and include AmigaOS3.x info.  From what I have researched, the 1st Edition only covers up to AmigaOS2.1.

It appears that nothing ever came of this petition to try to convince Ralph to at least release his updated work on the book via "Print-on-Demand" online service(s).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:30:45 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

guest11527

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;777846
It appears that nothing ever came of this petition to try to convince Ralph to at least release his updated work on the book via "Print-on-Demand" online service(s).

Actually, I've talked to Ralph about this issue from time to time, and he didn't seem to be against this issue; actually, he had some corrections and extensions for a new edition waiting in his drawer (and, actually, I have a couple of corrections I would like to add, but anyhow...). For some reason, it never came to the phase of "yeah, right, let's do this now". It's probably a timing issue, and a question of financial viability.  

I believe the major problem points are: Time (we all have our day jobs and probably a couple of other hobbies), and money. Given the experiences of the first (actually, second, but first international) edition and piracy, and the pretty low moral of the Amiga community concerning copyright, it's questionable if it is worth doing from a financial perspective.

One way possible way woudl be to publish it through a "print on demand" publisher, i.e. you could get a PDF or something for really little money, and a paperback for the printing and shipping costs.

I could try and approach him on the issue if there is sufficient interest.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;777858
Actually, I've talked to Ralph about this issue from time to time, and he didn't seem to be against this issue; actually, he had some corrections and extensions for a new edition waiting in his drawer (and, actually, I have a couple of corrections I would like to add, but anyhow...). For some reason, it never came to the phase of "yeah, right, let's do this now". It's probably a timing issue, and a question of financial viability.  

That's the most optimistic thing I've seen about this. Ralph's previous postings seemed more of the "One person pirated my First Edition as PDF so screw everyone that wants to pay me" sort of thing. I've also got "amiga guru" as an ongoing search to email me when it shows up in Ebay, but was not the winner the one time it's happened so far.

I believe the major problem points are: Time (we all have our day jobs and probably a couple of other hobbies), and money. Given the experiences of the first (actually, second, but first international) edition and piracy, and the pretty low moral of the Amiga community concerning copyright, it's questionable if it is worth doing from a financial perspective.

One way possible way woudl be to publish it through a "print on demand" publisher, i.e. you could get a PDF or something for really little money, and a paperback for the printing and shipping costs.

If there really is some chance, then very much yes I am interested. I'm old enough that I prefer paper, and would buy print-on-demand. (Stacks of paper more conveniently for me hold multiple bookmarks and don't run out of batteries, and my Droid4 phone is a terrible ereader, my only complaint is they take up so much more space than a single good ereader) But PDF is also good for searching, and I'd likely buy both PDF and paper.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
^^^ I couldn't agree more. If this happens, I'll be the one of the first to raise my hand with support.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 07:03:25 PM »
Ralph has emailed me personally in response to some hardware questions I had in the past.  Seemed like a decent guy, I wish he was still active in the community.  "Why can't we all just get along?"  ;)

Don't think I'd have much use for it but might buy a copy of this book anyway, just as a show of support, if it did become available on one of those "pay for print" services.  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline kamelito

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:26 PM »
Even If I already have the 2nd edition it's still interesting to have an updated version.

Kamelito

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »

What I remember is that he claimed to not have continued because the guru book was downloadable from pirate bay as a high resolution scan of the whole book.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Minuous

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 05:01:15 AM »
@fats:

Yes, the piracy thing always seemed like a pretty flimsy excuse, the real reason was always likely to have been something else.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 05:20:27 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;777908
@fats:

Yes, the piracy thing always seemed like a pretty flimsy excuse, the real reason was always likely to have been something else.

Not flimsy at all.  Imagine you have poured your time, effort, sweat, and whatever else into a huge comprehensive project.  For people in the Amiga community, even when it was a developed platform, whether viable for long-term commercial success or not -- everything we do is a labor of love.

Then to see that love spread around without any recompense for all your efforts.  Yeah, it is a perfectly valid reason.  On that has been hashed and re-hashed here numerous times and not really worth visiting again.

I was fortunate enough to grab an English copy from eBay a while ago.  I would gladly put up for a newer edition.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »

The petition site is no longer active, so I can't see how many people signed the petition when it was active, and I can't remember how high the number had gotten by the time I had signed the petition myself.    My best guess is that I was number 450 to 500 who signed that petition, but that is just a rough guess and my memory of the event may be very faulty.

I think that there is still a large amount of interest in an updated version of the book in multiple languages, considering the number of users still looking for a copy of the original German, or 2nd edition English translation books.

If you would take the time to contact Ralph again and ask him about the possibility of doing a "Print-On-Demand" publishing of an updated version, I would greatly appreciate it, and think that many other users would also thank you and Ralph for any news on this topic.

If Ralph needs to know how many people are interested in buying an updated book, a poll could be posted on all of the remaining Amiga related forum sites (except you would need to find a way to filter out duplicate votes by the same people who are members of multiple forum sites).  Another possibility is using Kickstarter to fund the publishing of a paper book, instead of any kind of pdf or e-Book.  My preference would be to buy a real hard bound, or paperback book, that I can hold in my hands, instead of an electronic book displayed on a computer monitor or e-Reader, but I will buy what ever is made available.

I hope that someone can convince Ralph to let this happen.  Since you mentioned it, perhaps Ralph would be open to doing a revised version of his original book in collaboration with several other knowledgeable programmers, who could help add new content that would bring his original book up to date with the latest (or last 68k version) of AmigaOS.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:25:34 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
The last time I looked at the petition, it was coming up on 300 signatures.

From reading your post, Thomas, it sounds a bit as if you've missed the last word from Ralph on this, where he made it clear there would be no new version released. This was even after Andreas Magerl from APC&TCP had offered to finance the whole printing.

I'm still interested in purchasing both a physical and digital copy if he decides to release the updated version. If not, then I hope he would at least consider releasing the previous English version in digital format.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
Are there any other Guru's out there capable of writing such a book?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline karsten

• Show only replies by karsten
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
mr.vince too said on German a1k.org forums that he would pre-finance a printed edition of the book. So it seems there are some options that would minimize/eliminate financial risks for Ralph.

Offline apa

• Show only replies by apa
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
Would love to buy new edition, even as print on demand. Hell, promise to buy two of them.