Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games that you wish had Amiga versions?  (Read 6500 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: Games that you wish had Amiga versions?
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:05:47 AM »
Quote from: GobanToba;593647
Street Fighter II

come on goban, you should know better than that!

=3

OBEY
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;593764
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Diablo
Warcraft 2
Syndicate peecee version.

And some others I can't think of right now.

it would have been neat if the Japanese world developed amiga games.  

but they were busy with the MSX, PC-98, and X68000

us round eyes missed out on some games that are better than FF even

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
Quote from: save2600;593851
I absolutely loved Final Fantasy 3 AND ChronoTrigger on SNES. Would have been all over that on the Amiga had they been released.
There would have been some kickass J-RPGs for the Amiga.  The graphics capabilities would've allowed for some sweet, depthy, parallaxy scenes for sure...

oh, if only..... :(

BTW: what would you all say were some of the Amiga's better Final Fantasy-like RPG's? (ie: easy to get into, characters walking around a 2D map, great fighting scenes and excellent music score)

uh..... ... .. :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »
Quote from: koshman;593888
@ save2600: visually, the overworld sections of Amberstar and Ambermoon are similar (and maybe better done IMO), they also have kickass battle system, but not easy to get into more like hardcore RPGs...

yeah, those games are both really well done, but definitely more Western inspired aside from the overhead stuff.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:12 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;593987
They were big in Japan, but it took a while longer for them to catch on in the US; IIRC they didn't really become a big thing stateside until 1993-94 (i.e. the point when SNES RPGs started getting really, really good.)

Still, it probably does have more to do with regional barriers than timing; after all, Western-style RPGs were pretty big during the Amiga period, so you'd think they would have at least brought over a couple of the more popular JRPGs to see if they'd sell (heck, non-MSX home computers are practically the only platform they didn't port Dragon Warrior to.)

Dragon Quest originated on the MSX and was released simultaneously for the NES.  Thats it.  

JRPGs were definitely popular before the SNES days.  Nintendo Power pre SNES proves this.

The problem is that the computer RPG scene in the western world was radically different than the console one.  

Ultima vs. Dragon Warrior, for example.   Totally different gameplay concepts.  

Alot of heavy CRPG players I know dont like the linear qualities of JRPGs.

and you'll notice there are not alot of first person Japanese RPGs, and the ones that do exist (Dungeon Magic!) are kind of strange in comparison to Western ones like Goldbox games and Might and Magic.

Given the time the Amiga was released, they really should have tried getting a few games to test the waters.  Dragon Quest 1, Final Fantasy 1, and Ys would have been good tests to see how things would have went.

also, fishy_fiz, you need to play Wasteland, asap.  Though I recommend it for DOS unless you like dealing with disk swapping.    Never playing that game is like, against the rules of life.