Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone v. BlackBerry  (Read 6352 times)

Description:

Offline TrevTopic starter

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 11, 2009, 12:00:29 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518775
Yes, they forget all ppc users using osx too but if m$ make it is bad, if apple make it is "different", i dont understand its the same, no?

It is, but read the discussions on the gcc mailing list re: plug-ins and how to force GPL compliance. Their solution was to implement a DRM-like copyright enforcement mechanism and deliberately obfuscate the code responsible for loading plug-ins, despite possible conflicts with GPLv3. So, everyone does it, even those that claim to support open software.

That said, I don't see any problem with Apple and Microsoft using their own platforms as host environments. They sell proprietary software, after all. The gcc people, on the other hand, need to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror and decide whether or not they really believe in the concept of free software.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
I don't have an iPhone I have a business supplied BB. But I have used an iPhone and have a friend who has one.  I also have access to internal IT business forums where a lot of early iPhone adopters have found cost and security(loss of desirable devices) to be the major issues.
Some people even blame the economic downturn on the cost of the iPhone for businesses. A joke, to be sure.

IMO whatever way you look at it iPhone = higher cost and risk for a business where as BB = covers both those business critical controls.

iPhone = cool, doesnt rate when it comes to a business objective. The security, relability and accessability of the key communications functionality are the core KPIs for any business pda/convergence device.
BTW: The trackball on the BB fails the last two requirements.  You've really gotta keep your thum clean..

Gertsy

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 08:40:12 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;518791
I don't have an iPhone I have a business supplied BB. But I have used an iPhone and have a friend who has one.  I also have access to internal IT business forums where a lot of early iPhone adopters have found cost and security(loss of desirable devices) to be the major issues.
Some people even blame the economic downturn on the cost of the iPhone for businesses. A joke, to be sure.

IMO whatever way you look at it iPhone = higher cost and risk for a business where as BB = covers both those business critical controls.

iPhone = cool, doesnt rate when it comes to a business objective. The security, relability and accessability of the key communications functionality are the core KPIs for any business pda/convergence device.
BTW: The trackball on the BB fails the last two requirements.  You've really gotta keep your thum clean..

Gertsy

I would be keen to know the data you used to draw this conclusion... OS1 of the iPhone did lack security and connectivity, but then it was a consumer OS, the first iPhone was not for business...

But we are now on OS3.1, which has an encrypted file system, access rights, controls, full exchange support with Push and remote wipe/lock down...

You can argue the iPhone is more expensive, of course it is more expensive than some aged BB... but security and connectivity are well supported features of the current iPhone.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518775
Yes, they forget all ppc users using osx too but if m$ make it is bad, if apple make it is "different", i dont understand its the same, no?

Apple haven't sold PPC computers for over 3 years now... The iPhone never existed at the time when they did sell them.

M$ have a whole lot more than just "forcing developers to use a specific platform" to answer for.

Apple are not the greatest company in the world, but they create products that work and perform very well. And probably most amazing of all, Apple have somehow managed to survive in a world with M$... Think of all the other 80's computer companies that didn't....

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;518817
I would be keen to know the data you used to draw this conclusion... OS1 of the iPhone did lack security and connectivity, but then it was a consumer OS, the first iPhone was not for business...

But we are now on OS3.1, which has an encrypted file system, access rights, controls, full exchange support with Push and remote wipe/lock down...

You can argue the iPhone is more expensive, of course it is more expensive than some aged BB... but security and connectivity are well supported features of the current iPhone.

I was refering to the device security/desirability for theft.
Having said that, having an internet enabled device that connects directly to corporate email via the same medium is a security risk in the areas of data security in relation to email forwarding from the device, inappropriate content distribution from the device to corporate, and exposure to browser based MITM attacks.
This is not a risk relative to iPhone alone.

But,, (with baiting smile) The iPhone battery "just" lasts a day of good usage and the phone has that "You need to make an important call so I will freeze now" chip in it.

Cheers

Gertsy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:44:21 AM by gertsy »

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
I have a BB Storm and it is a pile of shit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;518825

But,, (with baiting smile) The iPhone battery "just" lasts a day of good usage and the phone has that "You need to make an important call so I will freeze now" chip in it.

Cheers

Gertsy.

That's not a bug!!! That's a feature, you pay extra for that, whether you want it or not :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
Got my 3GS 32 GB phone, seems they had some in stock in one of their stores in Sydney. Compared to the old 2G phones this thing is a work of art.  The GPS could use an external antenna, but with the tower assist it seems to get my general location correct.  The integration between hardware and software is just magnificent. Things just work.  

I jailbroke it of course, inspite of Apple's 27/7/09 email that says we risk bringing on the apocalypse if we do.  Hmmm, I hear horses, sounds like four of them....  Anyway, the view into the system through SSH or Fugu is instructive, they've modified OS X a bit and some things just aren't there, sudo, for example.  It appears that the iPhone is running everything as root, which might explain why they locked it in the first place.

One thing I don't like is when I loaded some free apps on it and then tried to sync those apps to another computer it deleted them.  And the first computer I sync'ed it to had American dates set up and it changed the whole system to American, backwards dates, spaces in the wrong place in phone numbers, etc.  And there doesn't appear to be a full system preferences in the phone.  Changing the computer to Oz settings and resync'ing fixed it.

After the horrors of Windows Mobile (I had a 16 GB sim card in an HTC Kaiser) and it's constant running out of system memory (no one needs more that 128 Meg of system ram), this phone is a joy to use.  

The iPhone does monitor data so I just need to reset the counter every month, but I doubt I'll use 5 GB.  The other thing I notice is that when the phone drops into 2G the browser is horribly slow, it's almost like being on dialup!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
I warn you that push support doesn't work properly when the phone is jailbroken... And push support is vital since background tasks aren't allowed :)

Offline Terse

• Show only replies by Terse
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
Like somebody earlier in this thread, I am a huge fan of the HTC Raphael (in the US known as the HTC Fuze or the HTC Touch Pro)
It is garbage out of the box from AT&T - you have to crack it, install new firmware (EnergyROM) install a new front end (Fuzeberry) and you still have to put up with HTC's trademark slowdowns.
I don't expect most people to have the tolerance for all of this and I got my Fuze from a guy who forced AT&T to give him an iPhone after suffering the stock Fuze for a few weeks.

But I must say – the battery life is fair. The feel of the phone in the hand is good. The screen is the best I’ve ever used on any mobile device ever. The camera is still a cell phone camera but is the best I’ve used in a cell. The sliding keyboard had a great sliding action and typing feel.  All the radios work as advertised (wifi, Bluetooth, FM, GPS, 3G.)  Push integration with outlook works great.  The composite video/audio output is a nice touch.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;518825
..... phone has that "You need to make an important call so I will freeze now" chip in it.

Funny you mention that. My blackberry 8820 must have the same chip in it. It becomes unusable at the most inopportune moments.:(

No more Blackberries for me. Had enough of 'em.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;518818
Apple haven't sold PPC computers for over 3 years now... The iPhone never existed at the time when they did sell them.

M$ have a whole lot more than just "forcing developers to use a specific platform" to answer for.

Apple are not the greatest company in the world, but they create products that work and perform very well. And probably most amazing of all, Apple have somehow managed to survive in a world with M$... Think of all the other 80's computer companies that didn't....

Yes but for make aplications you only need some software for create, windows, linux or osx, user need the coice not companies.

Apple resist in a m$ world with own style, but apple is more of english speaking countries, usa, uk maybe australia... in europe i dont see too much iphones.
a1200 060

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »
Alot of my coworkers in Amsterdam drink the Iphone Koolaid. I myself have been impressed with Symbian and I'm looking at Android stuff with growing interest.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »
Multitasking?  There's an app for that!

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-backgrounder/wiki/Documentation

Quote from: bloodline;518850
I warn you that push support doesn't work properly when the phone is jailbroken... And push support is vital since background tasks aren't allowed :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
Quote from: persia;518901
Multitasking?  There's an app for that!

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-backgrounder/wiki/Documentation

Hahaha, I forgot that you can multitask if you jail break it :D

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
Iphone can be attractive and full of eye candy, but sincerely... an ipod touch + chinesse quality phone cant be a business phone
a1200 060