Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone v. BlackBerry  (Read 6504 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
I don't have an iPhone I have a business supplied BB. But I have used an iPhone and have a friend who has one.  I also have access to internal IT business forums where a lot of early iPhone adopters have found cost and security(loss of desirable devices) to be the major issues.
Some people even blame the economic downturn on the cost of the iPhone for businesses. A joke, to be sure.

IMO whatever way you look at it iPhone = higher cost and risk for a business where as BB = covers both those business critical controls.

iPhone = cool, doesnt rate when it comes to a business objective. The security, relability and accessability of the key communications functionality are the core KPIs for any business pda/convergence device.
BTW: The trackball on the BB fails the last two requirements.  You've really gotta keep your thum clean..

Gertsy

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;518817
I would be keen to know the data you used to draw this conclusion... OS1 of the iPhone did lack security and connectivity, but then it was a consumer OS, the first iPhone was not for business...

But we are now on OS3.1, which has an encrypted file system, access rights, controls, full exchange support with Push and remote wipe/lock down...

You can argue the iPhone is more expensive, of course it is more expensive than some aged BB... but security and connectivity are well supported features of the current iPhone.

I was refering to the device security/desirability for theft.
Having said that, having an internet enabled device that connects directly to corporate email via the same medium is a security risk in the areas of data security in relation to email forwarding from the device, inappropriate content distribution from the device to corporate, and exposure to browser based MITM attacks.
This is not a risk relative to iPhone alone.

But,, (with baiting smile) The iPhone battery "just" lasts a day of good usage and the phone has that "You need to make an important call so I will freeze now" chip in it.

Cheers

Gertsy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:44:21 AM by gertsy »