Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: emualate from which program?  (Read 1508 times)

Description:

Offline TrinityTopic starter

• Show only replies by Trinity
emualate from which program?
« on: June 09, 2004, 06:34:27 PM »
removed

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: emualate from which program?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 06:56:21 PM »
UAE (or WinUAE, to be precise) and a fast Windows PC.

AmigaForever is a commercial distribution of WinUAE, with lots of cool stuff added - most importantly, it includes legal versions of the Kickstart ROMs (these are required by every emulator) and AmigaOS 3.9.

AROS is not an emulator, it's a seperate, amiga-like OS for your computer. It's not able to run existing Amiga applications (yet), these have to be recompiled for AROS. In its current form, AROS is not really useful for desktop users, it's a nice (and free) gimmick though. give it a try.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 07:09:51 PM »
Neither of the three. Stick to your PC, as it has the raw processing power you'll need. The suggestion to run UAE on a PC will give you the best compatibility, granted, but will also sap much of the power of the PC.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 07:47:46 PM »
but will also sap much of the power of the PC
Yes, it gives you a handy way of showing off all that raw, untapped, processor power in the modern PC :lol:.

WinUAE is the most developed/supported emulator, and in the bought 'Amiga Forever' package you get it in a nice pre-configured form.  If you're serious be sure to get the CD version, as it has more stuff on, including a bootable Linux-based version that you can use to show people on their own PCs :-)

Don't let Cymric put you off, the Amiga is one of the most advanced emulatable computer there is (alongside the Mac), and you can have alot of fun just by experimenting with it!
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 11:47:37 PM »
Holley wrote:
Don't let Cymric put you off, the Amiga is one of the most advanced emulatable computer there is (alongside the Mac), and you can have alot of fun just by experimenting with it!

Hrm. That might be the case, but wasn't it the poster's original intention to use that emulated Amiga for heavy duty stuff like graphics and video editing? Methinks it is a waste of time and resources to emulate another computer first then, especially if the platform already natively supports such applications.

But I do agree with you, it is nice to play with an 'Amiga' on your PC. One which runs faster than any M68k-based Amiga, that is :-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 01:29:46 AM »
Hrm. That might be the case, but wasn't it the poster's original intention to use that emulated Amiga for heavy duty stuff like graphics and video editing? Methinks it is a waste of time and resources to emulate another computer first then, especially if the platform already natively supports such applications.

Yeah... It doesn't make a lot of sense.  What the Amiga did really well video-wise was real-time editing, compositing, switching, etc.  But that's not something you can emulate, as you need the hardware, such as a Video Toaster, or even a genlock, etc.  You can't really emulate yourself a clean 15khz analog signal output.  ;-)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 04:58:33 AM »
removed

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 05:46:56 AM »
As far as I know, the AmigaOne isn't going to have this capability, either.  (Basically, the AmigaOne is just PowerPC reference board with a custom UBoot -- it doesn't have any on-board video, and uses standard PCI/AGP cards, like you'd find in any PC.)  Essentially, it would be the same as doing the editing on your regular PC.  (Provided you could even find the software to do it on an A1.)

If you want to do analog-type video effects / live switching / etc, the Video Toaster is about the most common solution.    This is why you still see them a lot in local cable studios.  Especially ones that use older cameras, or do live broadcasts.  They either have one of the Video Toaster cards for an original Amiga, or one of NewTek's newer PC/Windows-based VT cards.

But, if there isn't a specific reason you need analog video...  I'd recommend just handling it all 100% digital on a newer PC or Macintosh.  It's a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) than messing around with time-base correcting various analog signals and such...  Burning digital video straight to DVD gives a lot nicer end product than sending 15khz analog video to tape.  (And if you need a tape, just make it from the DVD!  ;-) )

Offline Holley

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 11:07:20 PM »
Fair enough - I just use some of the old image editing programs, they don't need the same abilities obviously ;-)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 02:45:49 AM »
removed

Offline Holley

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 10:44:24 PM »
Well, plenty of Classic Amiga users are graphic artists, and the same software runs on the new ones, so they can carry on using familiar programs but with more resources.

The new Amiga also heavily leans in the direction of ATI Radeon chipsets, so there will probably end up being at least some capacity for video work - especially given that, again, there's some people out there using their old Amigas for that (though they'll have to leave the beloved Toasters behind).

As for other stuff, there's a big pile of old software (and some new) that allows most of what can be done on PCs/Macs, but in a 'lean and mean' package with a familiar user interface.  Personally I'm looking to get one for DTP, as I seem to have outstripped my PCs abilities.

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 01:38:38 AM »
Greetings all,
 Pardon me for cutting in here especially Trinity? But I was wondering what Holley said. Are there any way for a VTCard Amiga version(Zorro) of the toaster to run/compatible with the new Amiga1 baord or on software the LightWave?
 If so, maybe I could recommend old users here in my country to use it again and buy an A1, even just the mobo and CD?(Most of the old users I know,if any still, were video editors)
 If not, would NewTek have any plans to build one?
 Thanks, that would be all. Regards to Trinity. :-)

Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 06:28:34 AM »
Are there any way for a VTCard Amiga version(Zorro) of the toaster to run/compatible with the new Amiga1 baord

Nope.  No provision for Zorro or Video-slot cards on the AmigaOne.  (The video toaster is actually a video slot card, not a Zorro.)

LightWave?

A cracked lightwave may run.  The original requires a dongle, and hence wouldn't run on AmigaOne.

If not, would NewTek have any plans to build one?

NewTek currently has no plans for any Amiga products.  A PCI toaster would fit on an AmigaOne, but no software, means it wouldn't be usable.

Offline Holley

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 10:53:33 PM »
There's also a few PCI DV cards designed for Macs, wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with something to use those.  Did the Lightwave dongle use the parallel port like AutoCad on the PC used to?  If so it might work if EPP/ECP mode can be switched off (?)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 11:12:20 PM »
Did the Lightwave dongle use the parallel port like AutoCad on the PC used to?

I think it was a joystick port one, like Scala... But I'm not sure.  It's been quite a while since I used a stand-alone LightWave Amiga.