Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UAE probs  (Read 1004 times)

Description:

Offline jonboTopic starter

• Show only replies by jonbo
UAE probs
« on: February 17, 2004, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi
right I have got the emulator running nice, but I have 2 questions. Why do games look so crap, am I remembering my old Amiga`s screens to favourably?, all the games look like they are running on a Vic 20!
Also 15 years away from my 1200 has caused me to forget what DF0:NDOS use to mean when trying to run a game from .adf floppy image.
Any advice welcome
Jon

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: UAE probs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:32:11 AM »

jonbo wrote:
Hi
right I have got the emulator running nice, but I have 2 questions. Why do games look so crap, am I remembering my old Amiga`s screens to favourably?, all the games look like they are running on a Vic 20!

How are you running UAE, in window or fullscreen and what display settings are you using? If I enable OpenGL everything gets fuzzy and some scanline/double setting makes lines one the display. Try to play around a bit with the settings.

Also 15 years away from my 1200 has caused me to forget what DF0:NDOS use to mean when trying to run a game from .adf floppy image.
Any advice welcome
Jon

That is games that canĀ“t be started from WB, just boot them from the adf. NDOS means  not a amigados disk they use custom formats.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 10:00:39 AM »

Why do games look so crap, am I remembering my old Amiga`s screens to favourably?

I find this too, it's probably a combination of remembering the past with rose-tinted spectacles, and having got used to true-colour high resolution PC screens over the years.

Back in the early-nineties (TM) I don't remember games such as Flashback and Another World seeming quite so chunky and blocky at the time. Not suprising though, since most games back then ran in 320x240 screen modes. With games in WinUAE, I find it better to play them with WinUAE windowed rather than full-screen, to minimise the blockiness.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 10:36:18 AM »
Well, there is a noticable difference in image quality between running the Amiga to the TV, and the emulator on the PC-monitor.
Basically, the TV "blurs" things out a little bit, making dithered colours "melt" together.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 12:04:54 PM »
cheers mate
I thought that may be the case, i will keep fiddling with it, its good fun. I still fancy getting a real amiga again, but cant seem to find any, are they rare?
Also if i did get one, could i get real disks for it?

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 12:06:05 PM »
thanks, would i be better off getting another real one?

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 12:22:33 PM »
Well, that depends.
A real Amiga will allways be more compatible than UAE; nothing's going to change that. Still, UAE is way faster than low- to mid-end Amigas, and It's easier to fit one computer into a room than fitting two computers in a room.
Unless you're really picky about image quality when emulating, or if you really have to be a "genuine" amigan, then I'd suggest that you stick to emulation. Besides, most Amiga HW is getting old; it'll be dead soon... :-(
Beating the dead horse since 2002.