Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: amiga.org groups suck  (Read 1373 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
amiga.org groups suck
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »
Everytime I was checking my groups since the feature had been enabled, there was no or next to no activity.  I wasted much time on it, instead of taking part in more interesting Amiga-centric discussions.

From my own perspective, I just like many here, do not feel I belong to the web2 generation.  I enter aorg because I want to talk Amiga.  It's social enough per se.

So to me, shutting them down would do no harm.  So I'd like to ask any of you for some sound justification for those gropus existing here.

Hereafter, I will no longer use this very feature anyway.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: amiga.org groups suck
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
Nobody is forcing anybody to use them. It's a feature of the forum software. People created those groups because they felt they might be of interest to others. No harm in that.
int p; // A

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »
@DiskDoctor

Well my group is 100% Amiga centric.  So don't talk about shutting my group down!

p.s. The groups actually do suck, but for techincal reasons.  They are user hostile.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;522878
@DiskDoctor

Well my group is 100% Amiga centric.  So don't talk about shutting my group down!

p.s. The groups actually do suck, but for techincal reasons.  They are user hostile.
The problem with the user groups is technical indeed.  They've just never been written as a FULL, integrated addition to the forums, so in fact, it's difficult to use them like other forums.

The reason I feel they're valid (and as Karlos said, no one is forcing anyone to use them) is that there's no way for a registered user to create their own forum using the forums themselves.  Say for example under a "user groups" subsection (ala Coffee House).

Supposedly, and I don't know how much is true versus speculation, but supposedly all of these issues will be addressed in vBulletin 4.x..  Time will tell.  Until then, use 'em if you want, don't if you don't. It's just that simple.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:34:22 AM »
@diskdoctor.

The Social Groups, just like the Coffee House, is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE 100% Amiga related.

We are a diverse group of 6000 people here.  We have more than one hobby, and if letting people share their other hobbies on this site keeps them here as their interest in the Amiga wains, then frankly, so be it.

This can be seen in that at least 12 other Amiga users also enjoy motorcycles.

Though it will cost me my frequent flyer miles, I am sending my Sicilian friend Guido to your house.  He will "explain" your "options" as to your use of the social groups in an easily grasped manner.

:laughing:
//* Signature Free *//