Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: blender benchmarks  (Read 7001 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: blender benchmarks
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 03, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
I speak for myself dont worry, i dont talk about mac mini or morphos in any moment, chill out boy, but if you buy a x1000 then... is for what?
a1200 060

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;679051
Linux is completely irrelevant

Of course Linux benchmarks are relevant. What they will show is the potential waiting to be unlocked in the X1000 hardware, or at least they will more accurately show this potential as the Linux builds have been maturing for longer.

Anyone with half a brain understands that early software builds for new hardware platforms are not the most optimised. Early adopters buy for the hardware, with the promise that the software that runs on it will improve. There is no reason to suspect this pattern won't be repeated with the X1000 too, as OS4 is still in active development, and X1000 is the flagship system of this OS.

So, bring on the Linux benchmarks, let's get a better picture of what the X1000 can do.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
Quote from: HenryCase;679067
Of course Linux benchmarks are relevant. What they will show is the potential waiting to be unlocked in the X1000 hardware, or at least they will more accurately show this potential as the Linux builds have been maturing for longer.

Anyone with half a brain understands that early software builds for new hardware platforms are not the most optimised. Early adopters buy for the hardware, with the promise that the software that runs on it will improve. There is no reason to suspect this pattern won't be repeated with the X1000 too, as OS4 is still in active development, and X1000 is the flagship system of this OS.

So, bring on the Linux benchmarks, let's get a better picture of what the X1000 can do.

Well, Linux benchmarks are making only little sense. They will show the theoretical potential of the X1000. But it would be as intelligent as to measure/demonstrate a dual cpu PowerMac G5 with Bluetooth, Flash, latest 3D Hardware expansion under OS X/Linux to get a measure how well a PowerMac performs when MorphOS is the target.

Compare what's there here and now and not the theory. In theory MorphOS can even run on an i7 or Power7, well it's not much uptimized yet, hence take linux benchmark to show the potential of that machine that will of course get full support in two more weeks. But better buy that i7 now - you can easily wait the two weeks after the purchase antil MorphOS will support it.

The X1000 is more than 1.5 years delayed already, how long should users wait again? Two more weeks?

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
Yeah its already a year and a half late. How long till the second core works in amiga os? I'd say never.

How long till the xmos thing works?

How long till the built in networking works?

Sound?

I can't help thinking its ludicrous to pay 3k for a machine thats missing drivers, using only one core, that performs about as good as a 6 year old mac mini.

Add to that the ridiculous NDA they want users to sign so you can't complain publicly when something does not work right.

While I applaud anyone who dreams a dream, the reality is this is just another big disappointment.

Power pc is dead dead dead. Nothing like this will change that anytime soon.

Why anyone would pay 3k for this I don't know, but I do wish them luck with it and I hope they think it was a worthwhile investment.

"only amiga makes it possible."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:02:34 AM by haywirepc »

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;679072
Well, Linux benchmarks are making only little sense. They will show the theoretical potential of the X1000.

Actually, they don't show the 'theoretical' potential at all, they show the potential as it exists now... if you run Linux.

Anyway, with regards to benchmarking, it's fairly simple. When it comes to measuring anything in a scientific way, the best bet is to remove as many extraneous variables as possible, to isolate that which you are trying to measure. The question then is, what are you trying to measure? If you want to compare the performance of X1000 vs PPC Mac hardware, then your best bet is to make the software you use for testing these machines as similar as possible, so that the relative strengths of the hardware being tested shines through. This is why Linux benchmarks are a fairer test.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
Quote from: Piru;678913

Benchmarks were run with:
Code: [Select]
blender_binary -b projects/bricks_and_water_plugin.blend -o ram:pool -F JPEG -f 0

Sorry guys, if I spoil the party...

But I totally fail the point in shelling out such an amount for a machine to run Blender on when an el-cheapo 250€ box will run that benchmark in [...] 0.56s. (Actually, that's pretty depressing...)

The video playing stuff is much more relevant as it shows what a potential "everyday-use, allround" machine can or can't do at all (since video needs to be played realtime).

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;679055
Speak for yourself. I would rather spend 2500Euro than use a crappy macmini any day.
I don't get the infatuation with the Mini, myself...it's really pretty much just an iMac G4 minus the art deco lamp case, and frankly the iMac G4 is no great shakes in anything other than the aesthetics department as it is. Power Mac G4s can be had for chump change (or less, if you make a lucky find at your local recycle center,) any of them will best a similarly-clocked iMac/Mini, later models are commonly available in dual-CPU configurations, and they're infinitely more expandable. Unless you're extremely strained for desk space, I don't see why the Mini is worth the bother.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2012, 12:51:40 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;679080
I don't get the infatuation with the Mini, myself...it's really pretty much just an iMac G4 minus the art deco lamp case, and frankly the iMac G4 is no great shakes in anything other than the aesthetics department as it is. Power Mac G4s can be had for chump change (or less, if you make a lucky find at your local recycle center,) any of them will best a similarly-clocked iMac/Mini, later models are commonly available in dual-CPU configurations, and they're infinitely more expandable. Unless you're extremely strained for desk space, I don't see why the Mini is worth the bother.

Macmini is quieter (even after replacing the MDDs fans with ultraquiet ones), has lower power consumption (important when ~always-on), and a smaller footprint (sits next to the TV nicely without taking up half the room).
Downside is that the audio sucks, at least on mine (loads of interference from usb, graphics operations, network transfers). I still find it frustrating that we don't have isochronous transfers over USB just for this reason.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
My Macmini is useful as a home theatre system. I love the way it can fit inside any backpack so easily. I am also seriously lacking in desk space. In fact my Macmini, at the time i am writing this post, is sitting on top of my switched on laptop (which is connected to external monitor and keyboard) so the compact design definitely comes in handy ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »
Quote from: Piru;678922
PowerBook G4 1.67GHz and Mac mini G4 1.5GHz are my own machines. Mac mini is running stock MorphOS 2.7.

Some of us would also like to run benchmarks (among other things) on our PowerBook G4's with MorphOS 3.0.

Is MorphOS waiting for the next news cycle?

(Code: Ambiguous reply for 'Yes, in two weeks', and Evasive reply for 'They don't tell me squat'.)

:)
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;679081
Macmini is quieter (even after replacing the MDDs fans with ultraquiet ones), has lower power consumption (important when ~always-on), and a smaller footprint (sits next to the TV nicely without taking up half the room).
Downside is that the audio sucks, at least on mine (loads of interference from usb, graphics operations, network transfers). I still find it frustrating that we don't have isochronous transfers over USB just for this reason.

The VGA quality of mine sucks. DVI looks great.

Some of the G4 minis has infamously bad VGA quality. I remember being really disappointed when I bought it. I remember searching on forums and finding other people with similar complaints.