Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bad PPC?  (Read 373 times)

Description:

Offline matt3kTopic starter

Bad PPC?
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:24:28 AM »
I think, but I am not sure that my PPC is no longer working.

Here are the symptoms:
* When it boots up it locks when it should put the picture in the background. I'm using warp datatypes.
* If I boot with no start up sequence and run whichamiga it will just stop before it displays your system.
* If I boot with no startup sequence and run any warpos program like LHA or stat, etc it will lock that shell. If I run normal lha it runs.

I may be missing something.

Do anyone know of a way I could test it to be sure?

The fan is still spinning and I run the system cool.

Got to say that Cyberstrorms are crap, if this is a PPC failure. It will be the 3rd failure of the card in the last year and a half and it may be going back to get fixed again... sigh...

Thanks for the help.

Re: Bad PPC?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks for the great resource.

I tried it and the Powerup claims I don't have the ppc.library, which I assume means the PPC is toast.

Thanks for the help!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
Hmm, I think it is connected ok because the 060 is working.

Power is an interesting idea.  The 3000D power supply could be the issue although it aeems fine.  I also have a mediator but, the system ran fine for years.  So I'm thinking the ppc.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:28:09 AM »
Wow, great call.  The power supply was the culprit.

Thanks for saving me lots of money.  Never thought the power supply would create issues like killing the ppc but keeping the 060 going.

I now have to shop for a decent atx power supply that was retrofitted for a 3000D power supply case.  I think I saw a few on Amibay...

This is my 3rd 3000 power supply to go bad in the last 2 years.  

Quote from: rvo_nl;833367
yeah I can confirm this. the symptoms you describe sound very familiar. I have an Elbox tower myself and the plug that powers the motherboard can lose connection over time resulting in all sorts of weird problems. The most noticeable is always that workbench backdrop picture that doesnt load.

I did replace the PSU for a new 450w version. also I had to add extra power to the motherboard via the floppy power connector. with all this in place, and a new set of caps, my system is finally stable! (twice a year it starts acting up again, then I have to reseat the Bvision, but thats about it)

If all fails you can always consider upgrading the ppc to something faster.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:09 AM »
Quote from: kreciu;833459
Thanks for update! I can give you my paypal address for payment ;). Happy it worked! Now you will have all OTHER issues with it ;)

BTW. My best PC power supply: CORSAIR  RM650i. Peace of ART.

That is a nice power supply.

I need one that fits in a 3000D case and adapted for it.

Thanks again.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;833464
sorry about your bad luck but I whole heartedly disagree:smack:

Crap may have been too harsh of a label the entire card, but they do have a high failure rate and the 060 sockets are total crap and prone to failure.  :)

Many people I know that owned them had failures.  Shame their CV64 was an awesome build and built right from the beginning.  Their MKI, II, III, and PPC either under performed, had a crazy design, or had high failure rates.  Macrosystems had a much better accelerator card for reliability and problem free and well thought out designs.  All the warp engines I know of still work and never failed and delivered decent performance.

I still plan on the PPC and hope for good luck.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
Welp either the other old power supply I swapped out failed in the same manner (after working yesterday) with the system locking with loading the background or the PPC is faulty...

Will have to do more testing... Sigh...