Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS 3.9 Cannot open "resource.library"  (Read 5275 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: OS 3.9 Cannot open "resource.library"
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:19:37 PM »
Speaking to your original problem, AmiFTP or something else you installed overwrote one or more files in SYS:Classes with older versions. For some reason, this manifests as a "cannot open resource.library" error - I don't know why. But this is a very common problem, usually resulting from badly-written install scripts that do a blind copy into SYS:Classes without checking/comparing file versions. You'll need to copy the correct files back from the 3.9 CD.

As to your new problem of being unable to boot, do a cold restart (power down the machine, wait ~30 seconds, power back on). Does the exact same thing happen, i.e., it starts to boot with disk activity and then crashes?  What I'm trying to diagnose here is whether your partition is damaged (the NDOS error) or whether SetPatch (more accurately: one of the ROM module updates that SetPatch kicks in) is causing the crash.

Once you get your system bootable again, make sure to install both of the Boing Bag updates in order (available here). They include important bugfixes.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 05:54:22 AM »
What if I just copy all the classes from the 3.9 CD onto FS3, or will that mess up soemthing else.

Are you still getting the resource.library error? If so, yes, re-copy those files from the CD. (I'm assuming that your OS installation is basically stock apart from AmiFTP, MUI, Trident.)

I'm only using about 400 MB on FS3:.  Can I change the partition size using HDToolBox or is this a lost cause?

Lost cause, I'm afraid. If you resize a partition you need to reformat it. But it might be worth undertaking that operation (back up to another partition first!) to prevent problems like what kolla describes. You're playing with fire with a 4GB boot partition.

Well I got Deneb working again (it was missing FAT95 from L: which causes it to silently do nothing when you insert a USB stick, unless you run Trident to see the error message) and got the BB1 update on FS3:.  lha x claims it extracted successfully.  But when I clicked on Install I got:

Sorry... an Error Has Occurred!

Update failed.  Please check whether your AmigaDOS 3.9 CD-ROM is inserted in your CD-ROM drive and whether the download of the update archive worked correctly.

Then try again.  If it still doesn't work contact our support.

Well my 3.9 CD *is* in the drive, and it's an official copy and I can see its icon in WB and I can see files on it and lha says the update was extracted successfully.  So I tried again, and got the same error. :-(

This is a strange one. Start by re-downloading the Boing Bag, re-copying it to your system, re-extracting it and trying again.
My only other guess is that you have an old version of Installer that can't correctly parse the install script. In a shell, type 'which installer' - it will probably report C:Installer or SYS:Utilities/Installer. Whatever it tells you, now type 'version SYS:Utilities/Installer full' (but use whatever path the 'which' command gave you) and report back.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:15:06 PM »
Are you still getting the resource.library error? If so, yes, re-copy those files from the CD. (I'm assuming that your OS installation is basically stock apart from AmiFTP, MUI, Trident.)
Yes, it's still throwing that error, and the fuelgauge.gadget error from AmiFTP too.  So copy all the library files from the CD back to FS3:libs?

Yes, but it's the contents of the Classes directory on the CD to SYS:Classes, not the contents of Libs on the CD to SYS:Libs. It's a 2-part shell operation:
Code: [Select]
copy AmigaOS3.9:OS-Version3.9/Workbench3.5/Classes/#? SYS:Classes ALL CLONE
copy AmigaOS3.9:OS-Version3.9/Workbench3.9/Classes/#? SYS:Classes ALL CLONE

Lost cause, I'm afraid. If you resize a partition you need to reformat it. But it might be worth undertaking that operation (back up to another partition first!) to prevent problems like what kolla describes. You're playing with fire with a 4GB boot partition.

Well then I'll have to do that.  Is it OK to try to fix the library problem first?

Yes, get the system stable first. Then use Thomas's check4gb which will give you precise info on whether you need to undertake this operation.

This is a strange one. Start by re-downloading the Boing Bag, re-copying it to your system, re-extracting it and trying again.
My only other guess is that you have an old version of Installer that can't correctly parse the install script. In a shell, type 'which installer' - it will probably report C:Installer or SYS:Utilities/Installer. Whatever it tells you, now type 'version SYS:Utilities/Installer full' (but use whatever path the 'which' command gave you) and report back.
Code: [Select]
FS3: > which installer
FS3:Utilities/Installer
FS3: > version FS3:Utilities/Installer full
installer 44.10 (10/01/1999)

I should add that the problems began after installing AmiFTP, but AmiFTP requires ClassAct, so I installed that too.  Classes?  Hmmm...   Maybe ClassAct is the culprit here.

Yes, as zipper says, it's ClassAct that's responsible for the resource.library and fuelgauge problems. That's what I was trying to say in my first post. Your Installer is the correct version. I don't think ClassAct would affect the BoingBag installation, but it's possible (depending on how the internal checks of the installation operate). Fix the other problems first, then come back to this one.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 10:04:01 PM »
Well now this is odd.  Figuring I'd just give up on AmiFTP, I installed gui-ftp.  It goes into execution and I can connect to a server but it won't download anything.  Next up was rsync-2.5.5.  That refused to run without ixemul-48.0 so I installed that too.  rsync also started running but something is wrong with its handshaking with the remote machine and it just hangs.  Oh well.  So then jsut for laughs I tried AmiFTP again - and this time it worked!  No "can't open library" errors.  ???  Go figure.

Did you restore the contents of SYS:Classes from the 3.9 CD? If so, AmiFTP and any other ClassAct programs should work out-of-the-box. ReAction (i.e., the contents of SYS:Classes on OS3.9) replaces/supersedes ClassAct. Since you had installed ClassAct over 3.9, you ended up with a mix of ClassAct and ReAction classes, which caused your original problem.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 08:00:57 PM »
I can't tell from here what it is exactly, but your system has some serious software issues. It looks like 3.9 is not correctly/fully installed. Workbench should be 45.x. Your filesystem version (as reported in check4gb) should also be 45.x rather than 40.1.