Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there any hope of a TOR Browser for the Amiga?  (Read 463 times)

Description:

Offline RabbiTopic starter

• Show only replies by Rabbi
Is there any hope of a TOR Browser for the Amiga?
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:48:31 PM »
I was wondering if anyone out there was working on a TOR project Web Browser for the Amiga?

Is it possible to port it over from the Unix version?

If you don't know what TOR is, see this URL link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_browser#Tor_Browser
--------------------------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
===================================================================
Computer used:     Amiga A1200 (NTSC version) with 128 MB ...

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Is there any hope of a TOR Browser for the Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »
LOL, somebody's dreaming!  ;)

If you're thinking for classic systems, chances are slim-to-none.  Chances slightly more likely for NG systems, but still slim.  Not that the hardware couldn't do it, we just don't have enough developers to push through projects like this, unless you want to find some and front the $$$ to get them coding.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Ha, I think first things first, instead of asking for an anonymizing browser, how about we get an updated SSL package that is actually secure and not using old encryption methods.

I had suggested this previously after one of the last real nasty SSLv3 vulnerabilities and everyone is ditching that, so the Amiga is going to soon be unable to browse the Internet at all (if some of the projects for SSL everywhere take off)

Besides, for Tor Browsing, wouldn't you just set up a TOR proxy, and have iBrowse (or Netsurf, whatever) configured to use said proxy?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:41:15 PM »
The best bet would be to set up a tor proxy on another machine.

Offline dschallock

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »
Active development of an Amiga browser would be a great thing!  If I had had the programming know how to make it happen I would use kickstarter to fund it.  Since I don't have the ability I wouldn't launch such a vaporware cause.  I get that the market is too small to do active development on the hopes of selling enough copies after the fact, but if you knew you could pull a project like this off within say a year you could do a kick starter with milestones through the year and funding amounts that made the project worth the persons while.
just a thought...
As to the TOR part, I agree with that has been said.  We need a decent functioning browser and then worry about the rest.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:27:03 PM »
I would love to back a Kickstarter for something like an  update to Ibrowse.  Even if it didn't include much more than updates and patches that have come out since it's last release (in 2006, I think), and a few new themes, stuff like that.  I can't imagine it would be "that hard", but on the other hand, I've heard that the whole underlying guts of the application would need to be ripped out and redone to really modernize it.   Still, programs like that, you can't even legally buy a copy anymore.  C'mon, take my money, I want to support you!  :(

*cough cough* A-Eon should buy it *cough cough*  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:31:28 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline dschallock

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:28:09 PM »
I totally agree.  Who owns Ibrowse anyway?

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike

AFAIK oliver had been working on an update for some years, but without all of the other developers agreeing to release it, he can't. oliver just posted on the mailing list last month that as soon as an updated amissl is released, he'll integrate support for it into test builds of ibrowse.

it seems a very frustrating situation for all involved. :(

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 12:58:52 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;794237
AFAIK oliver had been working on an update for some years, but without all of the other developers agreeing to release it, he can't.

Thanks for the update!  I registered his WarpDT's datatypes just a few months ago.  Couldn't be happier with my purchase, and pleased to support any developers still coding for our platform.  :)

Offline dschallock

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »
Is there anyway we could support him in his efforts regarding ibrowse?
A funding project?

Offline Robbie

• Show only replies by Robbie
    • http://uponthevoid.com
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
Such is the importance of a good, compatible browser I think it would probably be the most lucrative product still achievable on the classic platform. i'd happily pay or donate.