Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Java Virtual Machine alternatives on Amiga  (Read 1988 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
Re: Java Virtual Machine alternatives on Amiga
« on: December 02, 2003, 10:14:49 AM »
The problem is though, that in the need to access my bankaccount via the internet, I have to use JVM (Jave Virtual Machine).

Are you sure that it requires Java?  I'd like to have a look if you don't mind, if you could send the URL please :-)

I haven't seen any online banking sites that require Java, that's all.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 11:32:50 AM »
Why not use Java? Java is more secure than ActiveX and a applet that connects to a database is VERY secure. Stay with that bank man, it rocks. BTW, best eCommerce solutions today are all based on Java. That's my job, developing for a eCommerce company using Java.

Then I'm scared.

Java isn't inherently secure or insecure, it's a programming language.  Java code can be interfaced with a number of different pieces of database software, so the second part of your statement is meaningless.

I've yet to see an online banking system that uses ActiveX either!

Java can be used on the server-side and the client not be aware of it in the slightest.  Infact that is a far more common solution than requiring the client to run Java code.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 01:59:27 PM »
https://www.netbank.nordea.dk/netbank/index.jsp

Hmm, that URL shows a misconfigured server (HTML pages being parsed as text- JSP pages are like ASP or PHP, the language is server-side which sends HTML pages with dynamic content).  Going to the domain name itself without any further directory/file reference gets me a foreign-language site which appears to be working ok, but because I can't understand the language I can't find the online banking section.

The second site mentioned, BG Netbank or something does appear to require Java, though I just get a blank page, so I can't be sure about that.  Loading it in Mozilla just gives me a blank page, usually there would be an applet window saying that the JVM plug-in is required, and in IE the page just times out :-)