Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion announce 12" Netbook running AmigaOS - due end of Q1/2012  (Read 21408 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Quote from: Darrin;664947
Netbooks are for feeble people who are too weak to carry a "real" laptop.  ;)

I don't see the attraction of an underpowered machine with a screen you need to squint at.  I'll stick to the AmigaOne X1000/500 until they bring out a proper laptop with an energy guzzling CPU that drains the battery in less than 2 hours, a minimum 17" display and a full keyboard (just like my PC laptop).

I like my netbook. Most of the time I take it places where I have access to a regular monitor, keyboard, etc...  so I use it as more like a nettop or whatever. I rarely use the screen & keyboard as that is tedious, but when I do, its handy.

It has a dual core 1.6ghz atom with hyper-threading for 4 hardware threads and a Nvidia ION2 chipset 2GB ram running Windows7 Ultimate. Can it play the latest 3D games? no.. but it can run Eclipse and the android toolchain and about everything else I throw at it including BluRay movies with an external BR drive. Does it run the android emulator well, no, but I have yet to see anything that does.

My other choice is a 18.4" notebook that weighs in at about 14lbs with power brick and has pretty dismal battery life. I guarantee, feeble or not you'll have a sore shoulder if you hall that thing around. It is my desktop replacement. It is nice if you are checking into a hotel for a week or longer.

I think an amiga netbook is the first good idea these people have had. Something affordable and fun. I hope it allows for an external monitor, VGA at least. I'll buy one.

_nate