Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga org changing ?  (Read 2181 times)

Description:

Offline GadgetMasterTopic starter

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
Amiga org changing ?
« on: August 12, 2003, 04:21:35 AM »
Maybe some people are scared to let their feelings be known.

I for one am not.

Others seem to fail where Wayne excelled.

IMHO this site has decreased in quality.

http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44672

Lets just ban everyone that has a differing opinion shall we.

there has to be give and take where criticism is involved.

I am a long time member and I would not like to see the site go downhill.

My constructive criticism is that I think wrong decisions are being made and personal bias is getting in the way of objectivity.

Who cares if you hate Amiga inc and co. Who cares if you don't like Bill M. I would rather not hear about it in a news article.

In a comment maybe (I dont have to read comments) but in news it just sounds childish and unprofessional

If you can't listen to the members of this site and react then I don't think you should be making such decision as banning people.

The "I will do whatever I like because I can" attitude will just drive people away. I think you are doing exactly what you are accusing the guy who the "news article is about" of doing. If your intentions are really to keep the community together you are surely going the wrong way about it. All you managed to stir up was a flame war.

The members of this site have a right to a voice aswell.

Want to test the water? Then why not set up the following poll:

Do you think that news article was appropriate for Amiga org.
......................Yes
......................No

People need to look back at the darned fine way Wayne ran this site and pick up a few valuable lessons.

[EDIT]

I see some change has been made to the way the item was reported.

I take back some of my words because you did listen to the members in the end but I still think there was not enough reason to ban someone

[/EDIT]

Offline GadgetMasterTopic starter

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
Re: Amiga org changing ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 04:44:23 AM »
Before anyone else replies I may as well add that my post turned out a bit stronger than I intended.

I shall tone it down.

As a side note please be aware that I have nothing against MorphOS or the Pegasos. All  I would like to see is some mutual respect betweem both parties at least at the community level.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 05:12:10 AM »
Let me state for the record that jac-whatever-cd is a known troll from amiga-news.de, and has attacked me personally here on several occations. I created the editorial news topic, and am thinking of further changing it to the "Sections" so that we can simply post a news item stating that a new "editorial" has been posted.

In my defence, I will only state that I have a zero toleration policy for people attacking myself, moderators, or administrators.  I have defended several of the administration of Amiga.org, and will continue to do so.  As others will tell you, my bans are usually not permanant. All it takes is an email *usually* for the member to come back.  If you doubt this, ask Kees or redrumloa.  

About the posting itself.  Well, read the introduction Bradd Webb gave again.  I hope I would have the same gut reaction to an institution condemning AROS's existance as I did to this.  Remember, Bradd Webb didn't just say "being at a show," but effectively asked users not to support a given solution. (Which ruined an otherwise good AmiWest report.)

The whole ship is not going downhill, and Wayne hasn't left.  He is still around, and if what i posted as news was too much--he would have called me on it.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 05:38:43 AM »
I respect everyone's right to an opinion.  You don't like Ainc?  Fine.  You don't like Genesi?  thats fine too.  If I start reading a thread that is obviously flamebait, I generally just stay away and let the trolls bash away at each other.

One thing that bothers me is that Red seems to take a keen interest in moderating posts with attacks against Genesi, but rarely does for attacks against Ainc.  Actually, I've seen him jump right in and join in the name-calling.  I respect his opinion, but I think in the spirit of fairness he could step back a from the religious debates and let them cull themselves.  I remember one particularly vicious attack against Ben Hermans personally by BBRV, and I thought it should have been modded, but it wasn't (granted, Wayne was still running the show at the time).  In retrospect, it was actually a good thing because a) he spoke what was on his mind sans moderation, and b) we got to see a glimpse of the actual character underneath.

Are the comments really that bad, Red?  Maybe you could p-mail some examples to defend your position?
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 05:46:24 AM »
Looks like AmigaUpdate, Objectivity Lost. is back to being an announcment again.

I can see how "AmigaUpdate is now Available" can be an announcment, but for the life of me I can not understand how one person's view on ANY subject can fairly be considered an announcement on the front of this site.

Isn't this what the Forums are for?  To talk about your opinions on things?  Isn't this why you can post a Comment about the news articles?

So if a new version of WinUAE comes out can people just start posting Annoucements about what they think of the latest release?  Don't you think the front page would get really cluttered?

AmigaGuy
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 05:49:27 AM »
I got "outvoted" for the creation of a new "editorial" item.  It's that simple.  There will be a new place for it later, but where is going to be another thing altogether.  I suspect we will have a special place for editorials that is neither in the forums or as news.  The same general location as used for reviews and interviews.
Regards,
Targhan

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 05:55:25 AM »
I have now posted my views on the subject in same thread.  Feel free to retort there, but there's no reason for yet another "Amiga.org Suxx0rz" thread.