Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CD32 opinions wanted  (Read 4729 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show all replies
CD32 opinions wanted
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Do you have a CD32?  Is it a worthwhile unit to own?  Is the controller good?  Do the games load up quickly?  Is it well-built and reliable?  and are NTSC games difficult to find?  Thanks.

• Show all replies
Re: CD32 opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:47:51 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;581421
I bought one this past summer for CDN$75, and I'm pretty happy with it.  It came with the original box and instructions, a CD32 gamepad, a competition pro gamepad, and a mouse.  The original owner broke the edge of the hinge, so the CD door doesn't hold itself up when open.  From the looks of it, the plastic is just very brittle.
Most games need to be played in PAL mode, and with some games on the WHDload multigame CDs, I have to actually access the display menu again after choosing a game, otherwise it'll revert to NTSC mode.  Luckily, I have a 1084s that can display the PAL video.
For the multigame discs and most of the native cd32 games, any one-button joystick will do, but I actually like both of the controllers I have.  The pack-in controller is nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe.

OK, I was not aware that the 1084 monitor displays in PAL mode.  So virtually all CD32 games are playable if you have a 1084?  (Is that really true?) My biggest concern is being stuck with a game system and struggling to find any games that I can play seamlessly.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;581421
I bought one this past summer for CDN$75, and I'm pretty happy with it.  It came with the original box and instructions, a CD32 gamepad, a competition pro gamepad, and a mouse.  The original owner broke the edge of the hinge, so the CD door doesn't hold itself up when open.  From the looks of it, the plastic is just very brittle.
Most games need to be played in PAL mode, and with some games on the WHDload multigame CDs, I have to actually access the display menu again after choosing a game, otherwise it'll revert to NTSC mode.  Luckily, I have a 1084s that can display the PAL video.
For the multigame discs and most of the native cd32 games, any one-button joystick will do, but I actually like both of the controllers I have.  The pack-in controller is nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe.

How are you connecting the CD32 to your 1084?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;581658
For now, I'm just using composite, but I plan to use the chroma/luma inputs once I build an s-video adaptor.

OK, so even the composite on the 1084 works with both NTSC and PAL?  I learn something new on Amiga.org every day (really).