Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better PDF viewer for classic amiga's. Possible?  (Read 6373 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Better PDF viewer for classic amiga's. Possible?
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:54:46 AM »
Are there any fundamental reasons a more modern / compatible PDF viewer than Apdf (or an update of such) could not be made?

Basically, I am wondering if it'd be worth trying to pursue some sort of bounty for this, if programming talent could be unearthed, but I don't want to waste time dreaming, if there's some inherent reason it wouldn't be possible at all.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: Better PDF viewer for classic amiga's. Possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »
What's the legal status of PDF viewers and creaters these days?  Once upon a time you couldn't go near a PDF with anything other than official Adobe software for fear of getting your arse whacked, but now there are free PDF writers available for download (I use "PrimoPDF" on my PC)?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
The best PDF viewer on Classics is IMHO, EasyGS from AmigaKit (It is freeware).
It requires you to have GhostScript for Classics.

EasyGS can be downloaded from http://shop.amigakit.com/easygs/EasyGS.lha
GhostScript 8.70 can be downloaded from http://www.whoosh777.com/

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:23:15 AM »
I had tried setting up ghostscript but I think I jacked it up, as it crashes without mercy. I'll give it a shot.

How compatible does it get?

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:26:40 AM »
It is less resource hungry than Apdf and does its job pretty decently on an Amiga with no RTG.

BTW, Installing GhostScript is a pain in the butt due to the not so clear website page layout of whoosh. But once done, it does it job pretty well. At least I had no crashes :)

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
yeah, I think I'll have to print this out and go over it step by step :)

That might be for tomorrow though

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
The best option OS3.x users have for a more modern PDF viewer would be a port of AROSPDF (which is open source)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
If there is a demand for it, I will release a new version of EasyGS package with a few new features that have been added in the last year.

I just haven't yet go around to testing it due to work on other projects.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »
That would be awesome Mat!

Cheers
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;628960
If there is a demand for it, I will release a new version of EasyGS package with a few new features that have been added in the last year.

Please do it!
And thank you for making this program available for everyone. :)

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;628906
What's the legal status of PDF viewers and creaters these days?  Once upon a time you couldn't go near a PDF with anything other than official Adobe software for fear of getting your arse whacked, but now there are free PDF writers available for download (I use "PrimoPDF" on my PC)?

Pain in the ass that thing, I dump my page scans into it and it rotates them 90 degrees BEFORE creating the PDF out of all the pages hmmmm

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;628997
Pain in the ass that thing, I dump my page scans into it and it rotates them 90 degrees BEFORE creating the PDF out of all the pages hmmmm

Have you updated it recently?  I've never had a problem with it.  I just "print" PDFs to my desktop with it.  For scans I use the supplied software from HP and Canon.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;629004
Have you updated it recently?  I've never had a problem with it.  I just "print" PDFs to my desktop with it.  For scans I use the supplied software from HP and Canon.

Ooof HP printer drivers are horrible, once the ink tanks went dry I binned the printer/scanner (scanner lasted 80 pages!)

Well documents are fine but for some reason my Win 7 PC just rotates the images 90 degrees to the left after you highlight them and send them to Primo PDF. Latest version but this is the fastest PC I have so might have to piss about with an XP install.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;629016
Ooof HP printer drivers are horrible, once the ink tanks went dry I binned the printer/scanner (scanner lasted 80 pages!)

Well documents are fine but for some reason my Win 7 PC just rotates the images 90 degrees to the left after you highlight them and send them to Primo PDF. Latest version but this is the fastest PC I have so might have to piss about with an XP install.

I went through a week of hell last month when HP's automatic update installed a new driver for my All-In-One wireless printer and then Windows could no longer keep connected to it long enough to print.  HP blamed Windows 7 for the issue, but it worked perfectly for 8 months using the old driver.  Our rigs use HP printers and several of them had the same issue.  Don't these buggers test their updates before inflicting them on the public?

Eventually a new patch came out and fixed it (granted it was a Microsoft patch).

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;628960

There's demand from me at least :)