Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 40430 times)

Description:

Offline arnljot

So, back on topic...

First there was a rumour that a settlement was a possibility. Does anyone know what concrete positions that were discussed, or if it was proforma discussions mandated by the court? Secondly, it's rumoured that these talks failed, if they were not proforma, but concrete talks, does anyone have an idea where it stranded?

Lastly, some here has taken it as a foregone conclusion that Cloanto will come out on top in this, why is this?

On the offspring topic here on a proprietary license vs OS license, I agree it gives the most freedom to the user as defined by the Free Software Foundation. This simply cannot be denied, if it'll give us the best official Amiga OS, I don't know. Atm we have 3.x, 3.1.4, 4.x, MorphOS and Aros to name a few... What would happen if who ever controlled the classic Amiga OS open sourced it, no one can really tell. But that steering would be more challenging is certain, also with a model of a closed source base and a committee. But both are functions of letting more people in.

If I had a say, I'd found a Amiga Foundation, have all Amiga player buy in at a low price, and then select officials to it. Amigakit, Idcomp, Cloanto, Hyperion and Aeon. Have a nonprofit own Amiga OS. That would at least reduce the risk that the OS stands and fall with one entity. If a non profit owned the Amiga OS, maybe it would remove some of the tension in the Amiga market.
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com

The following users thanked this post: Tygre