Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 40537 times)

Description:

Offline DrProcton

• Show all replies
Thomas, when is supposed Os 3.2 to be out?
Have you set a release date?

Offline DrProcton

• Show all replies
Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:02:28 PM »
Thomas, when is supposed Os 3.2 to be out?
Have you set a release date?
How can I possibly know with all the mess going on? When, and even more important, if and by whom? Technical discussions here end usually in a troll orgy by the usual suspects, and non-technical ones I cannot answer.
OK, but from a developer standpoint, is 3.2 ready for release now or will need some more work?

Offline DrProcton

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:28:26 AM »
Personally I don't think NDA is the problem right now.
The problem is Hyperion. Because it's in constant near-bankrupcy status (money dilapidated in legal battles) , and in the verge of losing even the licensing, as Cloanto will obviously win the dispute even against the best lawyers of planet earth.

From what we are told here, Thomas will not contribute to OS 3.x if Cloanto wins the legal dispute and/or open the sources. Working for free on a commercial product is OK if the money go to Hyperion, but not if the money go the the legit proprietor? I don't understand.

Having a bug-fixed enhanced and "in development" Amiga OS 3 is a need for the Amiga community, and doesn't matter if it comes from Hyperion, Cloanto or from an open source project to me.

I really like 3.1.4 and I'm awaiting for 3.2. I will buy it as I did for 3.1.4 even if I would had preferred to give my money to Thomas instead of Hyperion. I hope Thomas will rethink his commitments and continue OS3.2 development even after the legal issues are resolved in favor of Cloanto.

A technical question: If OS 3.2 will see the light - an OS3.1.4 installation could be updated without losing any of 3.2 new features or the best solution would be to make a fresh install?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:49:38 AM by DrProcton »

Offline DrProcton

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »
that they cannot contribute to Aros because of NDA signed and Hyperion was said from several developers in the recent years so they cannot be all wrong
I don't know NDA contents, and maybe it's true that Hyperion NDA oblige his developers to not contribute to Aros, but from what I understand this doesn't seem to be a problem for Thomas, who simply is not interested in Aros. And that's perfectly OK. This is a hobby development for him and I think he should be free to decide to support an OS and not support another one. Don't think NDA makes much difference in this context. I also believe that if Battilana decides to Open source Amiga OS 3 there will surely be a strict coordination/moderation. Don't forget that he remains the owner of trademarks and legacy products, so is "in his interest" to keep OS developing clean and avoid silly forks and so on..
It would be stupid for Cloanto doing otherwise
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:05:58 AM by DrProcton »

Offline DrProcton

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 01:26:23 PM »
I think both projects are awesome and should be supported and loved by the community.
Aros is taking huge steps now thanks to Vampire guys commitment. It needs more resources but vampire cards seems a perfect fit.
3.2 is awesome too because it's aimed to legacy hardware and is a coherent way to update any classic Amiga (and vampires too)
I think it could become a new and better 3.9. It's already better than 3.9 from many aspects.
Thomas ability is out of question here.
I don't know if today an open sourced 3.x could be beneficial to Aros, maybe not, but I believe that if an open source model was adopted in years 95-99 some of the nasty legal things would never happen.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:35:59 PM by DrProcton »