Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Envoy and Deneb with USB network interface, plus EasyNet  (Read 1640 times)

Description:

Offline mbrantleyTopic starter

Envoy and Deneb with USB network interface, plus EasyNet
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:08:52 AM »
There you go... a mouthful of search terms for the subject of this thread. :)

I am in the process of setting up Envoy networking software on my network of five Amigas. Happily, I can report I am having considerably better luck with this endeavor than I have been with my past failed attempt to get something going with Samba. My early Envoy success has my Amiga 1200 with wireless network card and EasyNet software sharing volumes with my Amiga 3000 with an X-Surf card and EasyNet. In both cases I was able to point Envoy to the appropriate network inferface driver in DEVS:Networks (prism.device for the 1200, x-surf.device for the 3000).

Here's my sticking point: The main two Amigas that will benefit from file sharing are my 4000, which is my main Amiga where I will do much rendering, and my 2000, which has a Personal Animation Recorder card and will receive rendered frames from the 4000. These two computers are equipped with Deneb USB controllers and use USB network interfaces. These machines connect to the Internet using EasyNet and its usbpegasus.device driver, but this device doesn't actually exist as a file in DEVS:

So, when installing Envoy how do I tell it to use usbpegasus.device or whatever? Can Envoy talk to my USB network interfaces, or must I buy two more pricey X-Surf cards? I will if I must, because Envoy is exactly what I need in my overstuffed vintage Amiga computer lab.

Offline Matt_H

Re: Envoy and Deneb with USB network interface, plus EasyNet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:45:26 AM »
Hex edit ENVARC:Envoy/nipc.prefs and replace the Devs:Networks/whatever.device string with usbpegasus.device.

Works fine here!

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:01:54 AM »
Awesome, Matt. I will get right on it!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:17:31 AM »
It works! I love Envoy. :)