Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FS: D-UAE Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station 2nd Gen w/ AmigaOS 4.1  (Read 2964 times)

Description:

Offline Rob

Re: FS: D-UAE Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station 2nd Gen w/ AmigaOS 4.1
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »
Quote from: c64man;783214
Well after a nasty email from Hyperion threatening me with legal action for purchasing a license for each D-UAE,  They are saying its not available to OEM manufacturers.  Well Im just a small time hobbyist lol.  Not running a darn computer company
So  I won't be able to include a copy of OS 4.1 with each one.  However since the end users of this system aren't building them,  You can purchase and install OS 4.1 on the machine yourself.  

Id rather not risk buku legal action against me just to make sure each one has a legit copy of OS 4.1

Don't see why they should complain, you were getting them extra sales and due to the limitations of UAE it's not exactly treading on the toes of their PPC hardware partners.

Offline Rob

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;783216
No %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!, the Smurf Rescue guy was threatened also? I need to read up on this!

As for Hyper-jerks... ya I don't really care about their sensitivities. You are right, you are small time, there is no way you can hurt them, you can only help them really. They are STUPID for not encouraging and promoting your project.

They'd be better off pushing a WinUAE version and offering a free cross-grade to buyers who chose to purchase a Sam or X1000.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 01:56:32 AM »
Quote from: Rob;783219
They'd be better off pushing a WinUAE version and offering a free cross-grade to buyers who chose to purchase a Sam or X1000.

Sadly though they are both anal and clueless as to what a good idea is let alone how to build friendly relations. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »
You've got a great idea and it's a shame that those clowns are threatening you.

As far as I'm concerned, Hyperion can go and get stuffed.

Mike.

Well after a nasty email from Hyperion threatening me with legal action for purchasing a license for each D-UAE,  They are saying its not available to OEM manufacturers.  Well Im just a small time hobbyist lol.  Not running a darn computer company
So  I won't be able to include a copy of OS 4.1 with each one.  However since the end users of this system aren't building them,  You can purchase and install OS 4.1 on the machine yourself.  

Id rather not risk buku legal action against me just to make sure each one has a legit copy of OS 4.1

Offline kolla

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
Forget OS4, it's a dead end anyways. Why not preinstall AROS instead?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline c64manTopic starter

• Show only replies by c64man
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 04:05:41 AM »
Quote from: kolla;783245
Forget OS4, it's a dead end anyways. Why not preinstall AROS instead?

You know im going to give AROS Vision a go in WinUAE and see if it works well.  If it does,  Itll be an option on both Gen 1 and the future Gen 2 Units.  

As far as the lawyers are concerned,  I dont want a legal battle,  as much as lawyers suck,  its better not to tick peeps off.  

Thanks for all the support guys,  I really appreciate it.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »

you've got to be kidding. i love AOS4 and wouldn't go back to AOS3 for love nor money, but, honestly, what in the name of all that's holy are hyperion thinking?

"hmmm.... someone is developing a product that will provide us license fees. i know, let's send a cease and desist letter!" :lol:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;783627
you've got to be kidding. i love AOS4 and wouldn't go back to AOS3 for love nor money, but, honestly, what in the name of all that's holy are hyperion thinking?

"hmmm.... someone is developing a product that will provide us license fees. i know, let's send a cease and desist letter!" :lol:

-- eliyahu

Yes, that's a ridiculous response to someone who is actually helping Hyperion's bottom line.  And since you're NOT an OEM manufacturer, you should go ahead and continue selling those systems with copies of OS4.  You aren't manufacturing anything.  You're reselling a copy of OS4 along with a system manufactured by HP.  You're clearly a retailer or reseller.  If they decide to pursue you, they'll most certainly lose.....both financially and legally.

Offline Dragos

• Show only replies by Dragos
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
I think you should continue to offer it for sale too!

I'll get the popcorn....

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;783632
You aren't manufacturing anything.  You're reselling a copy of OS4 along with a system manufactured by HP.  You're clearly a retailer or reseller.  If they decide to pursue you, they'll most certainly lose.....both financially and legally.

This thought crossed my mind too.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
stay away from anything related to os4 and you are on safe ground. i really dont get it, that people are buying their stuff to support them, being convinced, it is somehow "official continuation of what amiga was", which has been fed to them all the time as excuse, then receive this kind of attitude in return all the time, and then still try to support it.

Offline hishamk

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
Well, could you sign an AOS4.1 resale agreement with Hyperion?

That should make them happy... and it should also allow you to probably get dealer/reseller pricing and make a little bit extra profit on it.
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:04 AM »
Bugger 'em.
You're doing nothing wrong. It seems to be yet another exciting adventure of crap that Hyperion seem to think is normal.
It's a crying shame that the amiga is now in the hands of a group of people who think it's their personal playground (despite the fact half of what they have to offer is from the very people they seem determined to feel superior to).

Personally I'd let them take me to court. I've never really been involved in any sort of court case, so it'd be an interesting experience. The fact that nothing illegal has occurred guarantees it'll be an interesting experience kindly paid for by the folks at Hyperion.
They sure seem to like the courts :-)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:19:51 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
I'm guessing the bundling of OS4.1 with an emulated system would a) give a very poor user experience so potentially damage the reputation of 4.1 and b) impact sales of their main hardware partners.  

The bundling could be seen by consumers as official endorsement and 'if it's bundled it must work well'.  Of course, the experience will be poor - Jonny Consumer may then decide OS4.1 isn't for him so decide against that Sam 460 order.

These companies are supporting a very niche market already.  Slating them for trying to protect their reputation, products or partners is a little harsh.
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline number6

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
@thread

Keep in mind what the legal director stated quite clearly:

Also, please no business advice.

We'll take our advice from people like Trevor, Matthew Leaman, Steven Solie (who came up with the "Hyperion Blog"), Jens S. from Individual, Michael from Cloanto etc. i.e. people and developers who have put their money where their mouth is or have actually contributed significantly to AmigaOS development.

Take a look at Trevor's recent Blog post and the picture he posted from the meeting in Brussels.

Those are the people that Hyperion management relies on for decision making.

And even if you think they are bad decisions, it is our money and we can spend it any way we want, yes, even on AmigaOS development.

Source

Perhaps contacting and discussing ideas would be better served by talking to those he mentioned instead of direct contact with Hyperion.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 12, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
Quote from: number6;783738
Perhaps contacting and discussing ideas would be better served by talking to those he mentioned instead of direct contact with Hyperion.

I don't think doing an end-around on Hyperion would be such a good idea.

TCMSLP hit the nail squarely on the head! Read between the lines of his post... try to understand how Hyperion does business (and that's not a statement regarding Hyperion, it's a statement regarding "business"). Realistically, for C64MAN to continue reselling AOS4.X he would have to become a "partner" with, not only Hyperion, but those who Hyperion partners with. There's a "chain" of businesses here. The "chain" of businesses simply cannot be held responsible for how their product performs on C64MAN's machines. If even "one" disappointment came back to one of the "authorized resellers/supporters", with how AOS4.x performs on C64MAN's machines - or even requests for general support, or something like "I want my OS4.X product money back" (more than likely on a Amiga user forum), would start a $h!tstorm for all involved in that "chain of business". Well, enough of that... just learn a little something about the business world. Simply put, Hyperion doesn't want to support C64MAN's product. It has nothing to do with the "personal feelings" of the end user/consumer. :) [DISCLAIMER ON]And no, I'm not a representative for Hyperion or trying to be a smarty-pants[/DISCLAIMER OFF]
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!