Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FA: Pegasos Open Desktop Workstation  (Read 2953 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellslTopic starter

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
Re: FA: Pegasos Open Desktop Workstation
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 10, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »
I know the CD is still somewhere in my household goods and when it turns up I'll mail it to the buyer.

Offline Insidious611

• Show only replies by Insidious611
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »
Can I ask an impertinent question?
Why did you spend so much money on it (Pegasos systems being as mind numbingly expensive as they are) if you never used it for anything?

Offline ferrellslTopic starter

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:41 AM »
@Insidious611

You've got to be kidding right?  Pegasos systems mind numbingly expensive?  Not hardly.  I originally paid $700 for the system back in 2008 and it was brand new and complete and included my MOS keyfile.  Just needed to add a mouse, monitor and keyboard.  Mind numbingly expensive is an X1000 bare motherboard for $3000USD.  You obviously haven't looked into the pricing of ANY of the NG Amiga systems.  A complete SAM system from Acube will set you back at least $1000 USD.  So a starting bid of $500 for a PegII is actually quite a good deal, especially when I'm throwing OS4.1 and MOS in for free.  Buying both of those separately will set you back at least $350 USD.

I was hoping to get back in to the Amiga scene after a 15 year absence by getting a PegII and using MOS and OS4.  I also wanted to play around with OSX.  But as most current Amigans know, there just isn't any software out there for MOS or OS4 that's up to date or isn't crawling with bugs.  And at the time I bought it, no office suite, no functional web browser, not much of anything useful as far as applications go.....and I'm sorry, the only Amiga browsers out there when I bought the PegII were laughably out of date.  The one bright spot was AmigaCygnix.....and here it is 3 years later and the Amiga and MOS are still awaiting a decent office suite.  Sure, great strides have been made in the area of usable browsers, but as an IT professional, I can't wait 3 more years for functional software and I don't have the time to develop my own software for OS4 or MOS.  So I began using the PegII less and less until I decided to put it into storage.  From now on, I'll invest my money in "new" classic systems like the Natami or a Replay board and just remember the Amigas's glory days by sticking to those systems and doing my real work on my PC.  Although AROS has sparked my interest quite a bit lately.  Hope my answer wasn't as impertinent as your question.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:04:15 AM by ferrellsl »

Offline Insidious611

• Show only replies by Insidious611
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
Nonono, you get me wrong. I'm not saying your auction isn't a good deal, thats an amazing deal. I just find NG Amiga hardware a little too expensive as compared to its capabilities in general, but thats my thing. Anyway, I just wanted to know why you sunk $700 (Which, for me, is quite a lot of money) into a system and then did not use it. You answered that fairly well.

Also I definitely agreed with you regarding "New Classic" systems like the Natami/Replay with Minimig AGA/etc being a better idea.