Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC  (Read 16036 times)

Description:

Offline Plaz

Re: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:51 AM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;640914
trying to map out the PCB.

Could be done. It was once part of my job many years ago to reverse multilayer boards for testing and design flaws. I think a 6 layer was the most difficult I ran accross. What's the PPC card, more than 6? At one time long ago when I ran many A3000 repairs, I reversed much of the A3000 motherboard. That was kind of cheating though as I could check my work against the schematics that were available. Made popping out 3000 repairs pretty cinchy after that though.

As tough as the card schematics might be, there'd be no way to repeat the firmware without plucking it out of the existing chips. That'd be a trick. All sounds like great fun to me, but like most everyone, I just don't have the spare time I once did for additional projects.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
I didn't follow Phase5 at all back in the day, so just picking up on what's in this thread....

and was quoted $200,000 as the lowest starting price for that info.

Mr Dellert did buy out all PuP related designs (CS-PPC,BPPC,CV-PPC,BVision and GRex) from the Phase5 bancruptsy

From these two bits of info I could theorize that the bankruptsy buyout (or debt payoff transfer?) of Phase was worth between $0 and $200K.  I'd have to guess that it would be much less than $200K because who would spend that kind of money then be willing sit on the goods until it's value evaporated? Maybe the whole bundle will show up on Ebay one day.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;641118
Could, after this much time,  Dellert sue someone for reverse engineering this board?

Nothing stops him trying. Succeeding is optional.  Different counties, different laws. Also the way it's done is a big factor. AROS kickstart replacment project is an example. PC clones were born by reversing the IBM XT.  Clean room technique has been well established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
PM sent Iggy, I'll help. I've no delusions about marketing a card, but like Iggy I love to learn and enjoy a challenge. Silly? Your first "hello" program was silly, but it was a step towards grander things.

As for Nasa engineers... contractors make up the bulk of Nasa projects and I've worked among them. They're not necessarily smarter than many here. They're just really really focused and equally well funded.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
One other option not mentioned is what might be partnered or licensed from the Natami project. It wouldn't be PPC, but incorporating their 68050 (and later 68070?) core in to a classic card expansion might be doable since they're going for classic compatibility anyway.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
Iggy, thanks for forwarding that old thread from amiga-news.de with Mr. Dellerts reply. I think I recall reading it years ago, but had forgotten. If I'm reading correctly, the mythical $200,000 euro price tag is actually a combination of the developement tools, software, and test equipment that Mr. Dellert feels would likely be needed to re-develope the old card to replace obsolete components. It wasn't necessarily what would be charged for the lot of old documentation. Unfortunately the message gives no indication they we're willing to release the existing documentation even though it was obsolete even in 2005. Mr Dellert also feels that such things are beyond the hobbiest abilities. Of course he hadn't heard of the Minimig or FPG Arcade back in 2005, so we'll let him slide on that one.

Plaz