Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC  (Read 16098 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 30, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;641364
It's a 43% clockspeed increase over the fastest CSPPC ever sold by phase5 (233MHz) and a 66% increase over the much more common 200MHz version. Hardly insignificant.

I think its relatively insignificant. I remember similar speed differences in the x86 market. You'd never get me to go through that much trouble for those kinds of gains.

Unless you were just doing it for the shits and giggles of it. THEN, it makes sense.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;641364
It's a 43% clockspeed increase over the fastest CSPPC ever sold by phase5 (233MHz) and a 66% increase over the much more common 200MHz version. Hardly insignificant.

Actually, my other statement was a bit rash.

With the X86 platform I didn't get that much performance boost with parts from above 200Mhz to 400Mhz.
But I bought a 450Mhz K6-III and was quite surprised. I spent a lot of time installing/recommending the cache on processor K6s (K6-III, K6-III+, and K6-2+) to friends and business associates.
The re-assignment of the 2X multiplier to 6X was great for both overclocking and for use in older machines that didn't have a 100Mhz FSB or higher multipliers.

As many came back to me, I had a lot of K6+ sales on Ebay. Almost all shipped to Germany (obviously the land of fanatics who must see how far things can be pushed). Also understandable as AMD had a Fab at Dresden (now owned by Global Foundries).

Due to my obsession with the last Socket7 processors , I was late in moving to later CPU architectures. However, when I bought my first SocketA processor (a low end 600Mhz Duron) I stunned.
At 600Mhz the Duron way outperformed the K6-III/2+ (and it could overclock to as high as 800Mhz).
So the change in design outweighed the pursuit of higher clock speeds.

It was a useful lesson when the P4 was introduced. I dismissed that line from its introduction and eventually gain my vindication.

With a successor to the CSPPC, we need something like what you were looking forward to (the G4) or at least say a 550Mhz 440 core.

And any compatibility will have to be software only. I don't need Thomas Dillert's sore feelings dragged into this.

Take care Karlos.

Jim
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
Quote from: Plaz;641384
PM sent Iggy, I'll help. I've no delusions about marketing a card, but like Iggy I love to learn and enjoy a challenge. Silly? Your first "hello" program was silly, but it was a step towards grander things.

As for Nasa engineers... contractors make up the bulk of Nasa projects and I've worked among them. They're not necessarily smarter than many here. They're just really really focused and equally well funded.

Plaz

Thanks Plaz.
That brings the total to three, plus a few who are willing to offer advice.
Better then I hoped for.
Going back to studying Virtex-5 FXT literature.

Take care all.

Jim

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;641462
Well, the term "hobbyist" implies amateur, but that doesn't have to be the case.  It could very well be a professional electronics design Engineer who also likes to work on his own projects in his spare time.  The projects he (or she) does in his spare time are his "hobbyist" projects.

AH

Yeah, I can attest to that. I used to know two guys that used to run a small side operation in PA called L&R Tech. They made hard disk interfaces and serial cards for Tandy Color Computers. But their main business was designing and manufacturing medical monitoring equipment.
Their warehouse/factory had the first reflow solder equipment I ever saw working.
Dellert discounts the idea that some of us have access to that kind of equipment either through work or other ventures.
I used to know a lot of places where work could be contracted out for stuff in the US.
Now, like Mike and his Replay board, a lot of that has moved to China.
But each developed country around the world usually has some small scale manufacturing firms.

Also, if you look at that document, at the time Dellert was still pretty hostile to the Amiga market. I believe he states he'd rather 'burn' the documentation then release it. Then he explains why we're ill-equipped to use it.