Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC  (Read 16018 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;640914
I
Obviously, board layout isn't the whole story.  There's plenty of programmed devices to consider as well.

It's a shame we can't just get our hands on the info though.  The technical info is useful for just keeping our machines going, even if we can't ever justify designing out the obselecence/non conformity and doing a new production run.

AH

That top part is what slowed me down with a re-implementation of a Freescale evaluation design. But even that can be overcome if you can figure out what it does (not how, what).

The board layers, yes an x-ray could prove useful, but then you have to figure out how to separate the layers. Another, much longer process, would be to test all the leads for continuity and re-create the schematic from the results.

But would all this hard work make sense? I don't know. But there would be the sense of accomplishment in defeating this and gaining the info.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2011, 12:59:47 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;640882
That's fascinating. Not having used Word format documents is a little like never using a PDF.

Actually not at all "fascinating",i'd say "Sad"  If a person has actually lived in the real world, had a real job , a real life, etc etc they would never make a  statements like "i've never used a word document file" and to brag about it is even more embarassing

But back to more relevant discussion...

I've used OOO since ver 1 and the versions the past couple of years give very few, if any format errors when loading/saving m$ docs afaik.

@ BootDisk

Can you please state who it is this person from phase 5 they talked to? There are only 3 people in the world (maybe 4) that have that data, and by stating a number like $200k sounds like "dont bother me"  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:02:47 AM by magnetic »
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;640950
Actually not at all "fascinating",i'd say "Sad"  If a person has actually lived in the real world, had a real job , a real life, etc etc they would never make a  statements like "i've never used a word document file" and to brag about it is even more embarassing

But back to more relevant discussion...

Get a life you sad little person... ;)

Carpenters don't have much use for word documents you know, but then you would understand that living inside the confines of your own single brain cell... :)

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;640887
>BTW - this has got nothing to do with PPC accelerators, not quite sure how we got on to this subject... :)

Like we ever stay on topic.
Actually, the only thing I've found essential with Word files is the ability to read them or convert them to a format I can edit on my own word processor.
This is why I find Open Office to be less then ideal. Its file conversions are often flawed.

All the more reason to make plain text standard, then apply formatting through LaTex  :lol:

I think there is LaTex for amiga...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 01:33:11 AM »
I've used OOO since ver 1 and the versions the past couple of years give very few, if any format errors when loading/saving m$ docs afaik.

I'm in the same area as you, and noticed that once OO was doing superbly on translating the documents, MS went .docx and small issues started sprouting up again.  Granted, I'm at the point where I rarely if ever even use office, but I do save in .doc format a lot just to be able to email things to other ppl for their own reading.  I find the bigger issues arise when you have a very graphics intensive layout, or try wonky spacing techniques (i.e., my wife - master of the thirty space-bar word shuffle).

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 02:04:57 AM »
Can you please state who it is this person from phase 5 they talked to? There are only 3 people in the world (maybe 4) that have that data, and by stating a number like $200k sounds like "dont bother me"  :)

Mmm nope.  This was as I said in a thread either here or at awn, you'd have to search.  I wonder if it was Thomas Dellert?  Does that ring a bell?

Like I said it was ages ago.

I still think any commercial ventures to do with "advancing" the Amiga create spiteful people.

Jens Schonefeld and the various natami team members, fpga-Amiga cloners and Toni Wilen are all exempt from that; they seem to have a healthy attitude towards what they're doing.  Once people get some pie in the sky amiga is going to take over the world attitude their brains break and when it doesn't happen, and the complaints roll in because they can't deliver, the haterade starts flowing.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline magnetic

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;640969
Mmm nope.  This was as I said in a thread either here or at awn, you'd have to search.  I wonder if it was Thomas Dellert?  Does that ring a bell?

It would have to be Thomas Dellert this is the ahole who owns "DCE" he is the guy really responsible for the whole Phase5 going under debacle. I know Thomas and Gerald of bplan personally and I knew that it would have had to have been him to say this. (the other person is Ralph Shmidt since he was in phase5 but i know for sure it wasnt him to say some silly thing like that haha)  Whats really sad is even the bplan guys cant talk to Dellert. And they were partnered at one point, but apparently Dellert screwed them. (This is based on conversations I had with them when we with Motorola @ SNDF Dallas)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline Iggy

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 04:01:26 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;640973
It would have to be Thomas Dellert this is the ahole who owns "DCE" he is the guy really responsible for the whole Phase5 going under debacle. I know Thomas and Gerald of bplan personally and I knew that it would have had to have been him to say this. (the other person is Ralph Shmidt since he was in phase5 but i know for sure it wasnt him to say some silly thing like that haha)  Whats really sad is even the bplan guys cant talk to Dellert. And they were partnered at one point, but apparently Dellert screwed them. (This is based on conversations I had with them when we with Motorola @ SNDF Dallas)

Wow Mag! That was controversial enough to get a quote on MorphZone.
You're famous.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Plaz

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:51 AM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;640914
trying to map out the PCB.

Could be done. It was once part of my job many years ago to reverse multilayer boards for testing and design flaws. I think a 6 layer was the most difficult I ran accross. What's the PPC card, more than 6? At one time long ago when I ran many A3000 repairs, I reversed much of the A3000 motherboard. That was kind of cheating though as I could check my work against the schematics that were available. Made popping out 3000 repairs pretty cinchy after that though.

As tough as the card schematics might be, there'd be no way to repeat the firmware without plucking it out of the existing chips. That'd be a trick. All sounds like great fun to me, but like most everyone, I just don't have the spare time I once did for additional projects.

Plaz

Offline Iggy

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 05:14:47 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;641007
Could be done. It was once part of my job many years ago to reverse multilayer boards for testing and design flaws. I think a 6 layer was the most difficult I ran accross. What's the PPC card, more than 6? At one time long ago when I ran many A3000 repairs, I reversed much of the A3000 motherboard. That was kind of cheating though as I could check my work against the schematics that were available. Made popping out 3000 repairs pretty cinchy after that though.

As tough as the card schematics might be, there'd be no way to repeat the firmware without plucking it out of the existing chips. That'd be a trick. All sounds like great fun to me, but like most everyone, I just don't have the spare time I once did for additional projects.

Plaz

I agree. It could be done, but it would be time consuming and tedious.
Can anyone tell me how much programmable logic was used?

Occasionally I get a rise out of pursuing something painful.

Offline magnetic

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 06:43:45 AM »
iggy

The problem is my memory could be wrong and some people would get mad. It was 6 years ago, but I do remember it fairly well.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
Sounds "wrong" as Mr Dellert wasn't part of Phase5. The name that pops up in my mind is Wolf Dietrich who was the "CEO" of Phase5 and therefore responsible for mishandling the G3/4-prepay money.

All AFAIR/AFAIK offcourse ;)
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline magnetic

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
kronos

actually I think you are "wrong" as I never stated Dellert worked for phase 5. I said Dellert is "DCE" and he now owns the rights to the phase 5 ppc boards afaik..
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;641038
kronos

actually I think you are "wrong" as I never stated Dellert worked for phase 5. I said Dellert is "DCE" and he now owns the rights to the phase 5 ppc boards afaik..

Thats why I wrote this:
>It would have to be Thomas Dellert this is the ahole who owns "DCE" he
>is the guy really responsible for the whole Phase5 going under debacle.
sounded wrong ...

Mr Dellert did buy out all PuP related designs (CS-PPC,BPPC,CV-PPC,BVision and GRex) from the Phase5 bancruptsy and he later mishandled warranty repairs for these cards but I see no evidence he had any hand in bringing Phase5 down.

That was due to Phase5 not keeping their balance-sheet in order while developing HW that either never made it to the market or that didn't sell on the market...
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

guest7146

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;640963
I find the bigger issues arise when you have a very graphics intensive layout, or try wonky spacing techniques (i.e., my wife - master of the thirty space-bar word shuffle).

Please don't ever subject me to the torture of those Word documents! I'd have an OCD attack! You're supposed to use styles to create your paragraph indentations, so that then everything is in order and lines up perfectly!!! :madashell:

On a serious note, it has been my experience that most Word foibles (including problems converting to/from Word) can be explained by mis-use of styles.
I have found that most general users of Word don't even bother setting up and using the styles at all - they just leave it in the default Normal mode and then apply the formatting then want to it for each and every paragraph/line/word/letter on the screen.
This creates quite a major headache for Word because it's entire format is based on styles.  So if you decide to leave the entire document in one style and then apply the specific formatting to it, it has to keep going along and interpreting each specific change as "normal + font + bold + size + indented + number system + this that and the other".  And it has to do this for the entire document.  If you have a complex document, that's where the strange behaviour will start kicking in.

I suppose you could say this problem would be similar to writing an entire web page using one style and then applying local formatting to each and every word to try and force the page to look like you want it to.  Your browser is going to have a fit trying to interpret it.  And your job as webmaster is going to be torture when you ever want to change anything.

Sort your styles out, and all your formatting woes will be over.

AH

Offline psxphill

« Reply #59 from previous page: May 29, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;641056
I have found that most general users of Word don't even bother setting up and using the styles at all - they just leave it in the default Normal mode and then apply the formatting then want to it for each and every paragraph/line/word/letter on the screen.

Word isn't intiuitive. If the users don't know they even need to setup styles then how are they going to figure it out? Clippy needs to come back and educate the users.

Not that anyone else has done it any better of course. Word processing is a very hard application to get right because you have to apply structure to something that has no structure.