Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Experimental IBrowse proxy for amiga.org  (Read 31584 times)

Description:

Offline Cammy

Re: Experimental IBrowse proxy for amiga.org
« Reply #59 from previous page: April 10, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »
Thanks a bunch, Karlos! I have now switched to 640 mode on the A600 and it fits better. Would there be any way you could reduce the size of avatars by 50%? That would really help out too!

I've updated my screenshot to show the new 640 version, as well as plugging Dynamite because I get lonely on there with no one to battle!

A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
I suppose the avatars could be reduced by forcing the image size, but that might render quite slowly in the browser as it would have to do the scaling itself.

Another option would be to pull them through the proxy and resample them on the fly. The downside of that is it would pretty much destroy any animated ones.

A final option might be to allow the hiding of avatars, but I guess that's doesn't seem as appealing.
int p; // A

Offline Retrofan

• Show only replies by Retrofan
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 01:18:09 AM »
Great, great, great!!! I`m browsing with my A1200/ACA56/Ibrowse and it`s really fantastic. I`ve substituted the old link. I`m using a 23" led Tv and I find great the size of avatars (Cammy`s better than Karlos`s one). I like a lot the white background. BTW Cammy where did you get that navigation toolbar?
The size of the text can be bigger or is it something I can change in Ibrowse and I don`t know how?
The AMIGA.org logo should be bigger too, I thik. EDIT: Have you changed it? Now looks right, logo and text.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:10:04 AM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
I've actually just been going to the normal site in Ibrowse. I guess I should check out the proxy huh :)

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »
Quote from: Retrofan;630847
Great, great, great!!! I`m browsing with my A1200/ACA56/Ibrowse and it`s really fantastic. I`ve substituted the old link. I`m using a 23" led Tv and I find great the size of avatars (Cammy`s better than Karlos`s one). I like a lot the white background. BTW Cammy where did you get that navigation toolbar?
The size of the text can be bigger or is it something I can change in Ibrowse and I don`t know how?

The font size is something you can set in iBrowse's preferences. I don't have as much control over it as you might think - the original page is dependent on CSS for controlling such things whereas the proxy has to generate old-fashioned tags, an anathema to modern web standards to say the least. When I was putting it together and testing it, I found that it looked best for me as it does now. Your mileage may vary. One of the many reasons CSS exists is to help standardise the rendering of elements on a page.

The AMIGA.org logo should be bigger too, I thik. EDIT: Have you changed it? Now looks right, logo and text.

There are only two options. The regular logo, which you will see when you don't use the "640 wide" mode or a specially resized one (reproduced with permission from the current owners) should you decide to opt for the smaller screen size layout.
int p; // A

Offline Retrofan

• Show only replies by Retrofan
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
I changed it the first time, that was why the next time it was different. BTW I changed the Google search page in Ibrowse for Google.es and now it looks better, with the white background too that I hadn't.
I have to see how do I change the size of letters, but now they look right. Thanks a lot.
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
@Karlos

do you think it would be possible to release the proxy as a local stand-alone program? It would be useful to access some webpages :-)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;636734
@Karlos

do you think it would be possible to release the proxy as a local stand-alone program? It would be useful to access some webpages :-)

As I understand it it's specific to this site. Not to mention Karlos' bandwidth bill! ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 09:10:11 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;636736
As I understand it it's specific to this site.

Well, it is, but it's also implemented in a fashion that would allow you to make it work for other sites, but not without having to write code. Essentially it's based around a wrapper for cURL to pull documents then a chain of "processors" all of which implement the following simple interface:

Code: [Select]

interface MarkupRewriter {
  public function process($content);
}

The main controller, a singleton class called PageRequest has a default set of these that are needed on all of the amiga.org pages and allows you to add additional ones that are specific to only a few. So, in the stub "newreply.php" file, your code looks like this:

require_once('../include.main.php');
require_once('../classes.markuprewriter.editor.php');

PageRequest::getInstance()->addRewriters(
  array(
    new MessageEditorRewriter()
  )
);

PageRequest::getInstance()->process();

Whereas most stub pages just look like this:

require_once('../include.main.php');
PageRequest::getInstance()->process();

Although this is simple, the present incarnation requires that you have a stub .php file for every target page on the site you are proxying, which was fine in this case but not useful for a general purpose proxy. A better solution would be to use some rewrite rules and have a single page through which all requests are brokered, with some parameters added invisibly in the rewrite rule that instruct the PageRequest class to bind additional MarkupRewriter instances as required.

So, yes, you could use the code to make a more general proxy for other sites, but you would want to do it in a better fashion than I did for this one :)
int p; // A