Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Experimental IBrowse proxy for amiga.org  (Read 31577 times)

Description:

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Experimental IBrowse proxy for amiga.org
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »
In response to the various complaints that this site no longer adequately supports old browsers (specifically IBrowse) on classic systems, I've cobbled together a small proxy that aims to rewrite the content in a manner more amenable to iBrowse and other non-CSS capable browsers.

It isn't complete in that a lot of pages have rendering issues or the broken features but I aim to sort those out on an as-encountered basis.

To test it, use the following link: http://aoproxy.extropia.co.uk/

Some important caveats when using the proxy:

1) Your session is with the proxy server, not with amiga.org directly. That means your proxied session will log out after half an hour or so of inactivity regardless of your preferred settings.

2) Being logged into amiga.org directly does not mean you will be logged when accessing in via the proxy.

3) If you log in via the proxy, your password hash is relayed via the proxy. It isn't logged anywhere but if you are paranoid about security then don't log in via it.

4) No warranties of any kind. It works for me. Your mileage may vary. It may go down periodically when I'm working on it.
int p; // A

Offline pVC

Re: Experimental IBrowse proxy for amiga.org
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »
Cool. Looks pretty good (but still liked more the old design). I'll take it in use instead of the original page and report later if I find any problems :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline tone007

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
Great, now I'm going to have to build another Amiga to try it out since I sold all my working ones.  I'm sure I've got enough parts lying around...
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
Quote from: pVC;542441
Cool. Looks pretty good (but still liked more the old design).

There isn't too much I can do about that. It isn't a different front end to amiga.org's database, it literally rewrites pages on the fly as you request them. The rewriting process is mostly intended to replace JS/CSS based popups and other things that just do not work without CSS with replacements that can. So, where possible, popup menus are replaced with