Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!  (Read 19737 times)

Description:

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
Re: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 11:01:32 PM »
Ouch! $140 each, I guess I will just have to get one, not the 6 I was planning on.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline tone007

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:06 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;521157
Ouch! $140 each, I guess I will just have to get one, not the 6 I was planning on.

That may be the best example of wishful thinking I've ever seen.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Beast96GT

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 01:43:13 AM »
@Jens

What would be the advantage of this kit (other than dual monitors) over my Amber card?  Thanks, I love what you're doing for the Amiga.

Chris

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
Quote from: Beast96GT;521176
@Jens

What would be the advantage of this kit (other than dual monitors) over my Amber card?
Chris

You can buy it.

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Beast96GT

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 02:08:46 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;521177
You can buy it.

:)

Agreed, but I'm thinking I would sell the Amber card for greater compatibility with modern LCDs.

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;521157

lol @ ROFL.   I am with you on this one quarkx.
Way too expensive.  I don't give a flying sh** about outputting on 2 LCDs.   Should have designed a cheap solution without all the extra fuss...  one screen lower price.   I have the Amber 2320 and it does a fine job for me for 8 years now.   This is a perfectly good example of an Engineer doing overkill of a design, inflating the price in the process.  Most people won't need this if they have no Graphics card.  Note to all: i'm not bashing Jens as engineer (nice design).  Just saying he should have made it such it could be cheaper.  Don't add all the extra things, keep the price more affordable.
How much cheaper?  My take is $80-100 range ($99 would be ideal).
I may be hesitant to spend $140.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:36:48 AM by terminator4 »

Offline tone007

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 02:50:08 AM »
2320 is a great card, but if you use LCDs the Indivision wins hands down.

Offline Beast96GT

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 02:52:04 AM »
Quote from: tone007;521186
2320 is a great card, but if you use LCDs the Indivision wins hands down.

Please explain.

Offline tone007

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 02:54:25 AM »
Oldschool Amiga scandoublers produce vertical banding on most LCDs, unless you have an infinitely adjustable one to play with clock and phase settings to work them all out.  The Indivisions simply don't have this problem as they're meant to work with "correct" VGA-style screenmodes.  CRTs don't have this trouble with scandoublers, so if you're on one of those, you have your pick of the litter.

Offline Beast96GT

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 03:01:07 AM »
Quote from: tone007;521188
Oldschool Amiga scandoublers produce vertical banding on most LCDs, unless you have an infinitely adjustable one to play with clock and phase settings to work them all out.  The Indivisions simply don't have this problem as they're meant to work with "correct" VGA-style screenmodes.  CRTs don't have this trouble with scandoublers, so if you're on one of those, you have your pick of the litter.

I'm familiar with what you're talking about.  It's a minor issue, but an issue just the same.  Maybe I'll sell the Amber card for one of these.   Thanks for the help.

Offline tone007

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 03:05:18 AM »
The issue can be minor or major, depending on the particular LCD you're using.  I have ones I can adjust to almost perfect with the 2320, and others that are painful to look at. I'd say, bottom line, if your heart is set on LCD and you want to be sure of a good clear picture, Indivision is the only way.

Offline quarkx

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 03:31:11 AM »
Quote from: terminator4;521181
lol @ ROFL.   I am with you on this one quarkx.
Way too expensive.  I don't give a flying sh** about outputting on 2 LCDs.   Should have designed a cheap solution without all the extra fuss...  one screen lower price.   I have the Amber 2320 and it does a fine job for me for 8 years now.   This is a perfectly good example of an Engineer doing overkill of a design, inflating the price in the process.  Most people won't need this if they have no Graphics card.  Note to all: i'm not bashing Jens as engineer (nice design).  Just saying he should have made it such it could be cheaper.  Don't add all the extra things, keep the price more affordable.
How much cheaper?  My take is $80-100 range ($99 would be ideal).
I may be hesitant to spend $140.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, if I was buying 1 for 1 Amiga (like the AGA for the 1200 and 4000) this price would be ok, but most people  would buy 2  or more if they are like me and have a slew of classic Amigas. I would LOVE to get 2 on my A1000, 1 each for my 500's and 1 for my 600, but even at half the price, the investment is not worth the WOW factor of running dual monitors.
This is hardware for the Classes not the masses at this price. These are the prices I would expect the pirates on Ebay to be charging (in fact, you can find NOS flicker fixers for CHEAPER there).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:34:54 AM by quarkx »
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline tone007

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 03:34:04 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;521193
This is hardware for the Classes not the masses at this price.

Well, they're not cheap enough to wipe your ass on or anything, but they're in-line with what scandoublers have been costing, and yet they're more modern and provide better/more functionality.

This isn't the "one Indivision in every Amiga" game.  You've gotta want it.

Offline tone007

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 03:45:25 AM »
Quote from: quarkx;521193
(in fact, you can find NOS flicker fixers for CHEAPER there).

And as previously stated, they don't work as well with modern monitors.

Sure, we all want everything to be cheaper. Unfortunately things cost money.

Offline quarkx

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 04:11:33 AM »
Quote from: tone007;521195
Well, they're not cheap enough to wipe your ass on or anything, but they're in-line with what scandoublers have been costing, and yet they're more modern and provide better/more functionality.

This isn't the "one Indivision in every Amiga" game.  You've gotta want it.

I call EXTREAME BS  (B F***in S)on that one. I am working closely now with a hardware manufacture and I have a pretty good idea of the cost of the components. Lets just say Jens is making a very good profit and AmigaKit is making a good profit. I wouldn't be suprised at all if the cost has been doubled and doubled again at retail.

Hey, I am not against making profit, but they will sell alot more if they dropped the price to below $100. Again, it boils down to simple economics. but here we go again with floging a dead horse. This is the same argument as the SAM, Minimig, etc- It comes down to price gouging. The sellers are shooting themselves in the head with the prices. When they could be making so much more profit in volume sales.
Like I said before I would rather make a $10/unit profit on 1000 units than a $50 /unit profit and only sell 30 units.
You can not argue with the math (but of course the meatheads will try).

Offline Beast96GT

« Reply #59 from previous page: August 28, 2009, 04:11:41 AM »
Wow, new hardware developed for a dead machine and people complain that it costs too much.  What do you really expect?!   I bought my Amber card off ebay for $150 and had to pull my Toaster to put it in.  Dead hardware development isn't the bill payer for Jens--I'm just glad he loves the Ami enough to do this stuff.  BTW:  Shhh....  I don't think anybody's getting rich on this stuff, call me crazy.  ;)   'Nuff said.