Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking issues  (Read 12183 times)

Description:

Offline nineocTopic starter

• Show only replies by nineoc
Re: Networking issues
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 02, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
As an addendum to the last post, I do not see where to change the Amiga identity from Unknown to something else. In an article I found on AmiTCP, that identity appears to be set at the time of installation. Have to dig out the AmiTCP manual to see if there is anything there.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2021, 07:29:56 PM »
In XP there may be a run command under the windows star key, use that, if not there use the search box, click run, Next type IPCONFIG In the cli that pops up write down IP, Mask and gateway. Next count how many computers are using that device including wifi. The info your provider gave you should do rather than IPCONFIG. In Amitcp make the gateway and mask the same as windows along with the first 3 groups of IP numbers. For the last number take your gateway and add the number of computers you have and round up. So lets say there are 3 computers max, make yours either 010 or10 depending on the original number of digits as Gateway. you want to leave a few numbers between the gateway and last number you use to leave room for another auto device. In this example
192.168.1.1, the last of your first 3 computers should be 004,04 or4, so if you leave some room you make it 010 or10. you should be on at that point.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 07:32:11 PM »
What is you gateway and how many computers and cellphones do you have? I will give IP. By the way, I heard long ago that all Amigas have the same Mac address?

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »
Did IPCONFIG earlier, and IP's Mask, Gateway and AmiTCP all conform.

All computers, except the Amiga have sequential IP Addresses.

Do not use WiFi, do not use cell phone for anything other than phone/camera.

Do not know if all Amiga's have same MAC addresses.

Still do not know how to rename the Amiga from Unknown, or why it can connect to the Internet, but not Network.

Hesitant to make any major changes at the moment as my skill set is insufficient to resolve any accidental issues that may pop up, especially as they are all working, except the Amiga.

Am starting to think that the router's firewall may be interering with the Amiga.

Need to take a step back to review the situation before making any changes. :)

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »
So lets check your IP address. What is your gateway?

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2021, 09:21:49 PM »
Hmm, how did this thread get in "Site Announcements"?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2021, 10:04:38 PM »
You are the last one trying to help so we'll blame you. D)

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
That's a good question, I was wondering that myself. I thought I put it in Hardware Issues and discussions,but I may have messed up. :-\

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2021, 10:17:43 PM »
Ah, just remember, when you point at someone 3 fingers are pointing back at you. Kidding, I hassle with IP's all day at work.

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 10:50:09 PM »
So, have just changed the Amiga's IP Address, and it shows up in the router's control panel, but the Amiga is still not accessible by any of the computers in the network.

Cannot ping the Amiga from either the PC or the Router.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2021, 11:00:16 PM »
Winxp sometimes needs a couple of minutes, or a restart, to recognize network changes.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2021, 11:06:27 PM »
not knowing the numbers it could be IP collision.Unknown, bye.

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2021, 11:13:43 PM »
Winxp sometimes needs a couple of minutes, or a restart, to recognize network changes.

Just did a restart, same results. Think I may have to take a different approach to the situation.

Thanks to all who offered assistance, and all the best in the New Year.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2021, 01:31:44 AM »
Last from me, leave port blank, that's nly needed to get to someone else's network.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2021, 08:33:03 AM »
It's possible it could be caused by your router - is it a different one to the one you used the last time you had everything set up and working?

I have an old TP-Link hub (nothing fancy it doesn't even have a web interface to manage it) and my Amiga isn't able to get onto the Internet when connected to it but everything else is plug-n-play.

Whereabouts roughly do you live? Might be worth seeing if there are any other Amigans locally to you (and take into account any restictions on meeting up).
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
Yes, the router is quite different.

As for your suggestion regarding assistance, I am in a remote part of Western Canada, and I have just recently been in touch with someone with Amiga experience who is about six hours away who may be able to assist. We will be talking on and off about options, so if we are able to get this sorted out I will let the forum know what the resolution is.

Thanks for continuing to think about this, and I will be in touch, one way or the other. :) :) :)