Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"  (Read 49449 times)

Description:

Offline JimmiG

• Show all replies
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« on: September 09, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
From what I understand the board itself has been available to beta testers for at least 9 months. It's the AmigaOS port that's taking so long.

The slow pace of development really gives you second thoughts about investing into something like this. What about new drivers and updates down the road?

Still, if it ends up priced less than the Sam460CR and availability is good enough that you can actually buy one, then it might attract a few users. As a secondary system and a "gateway" to AmigaOS, absolute performance isn't critical. Price and availability will be more important.

Offline JimmiG

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;813675
I would buy one if it's around the 500€ or less of course :hammer:

That's the sweet spot I think for the board+CPU. I mean that's still expensive for something that is about as powerful as the €30 Raspberry Pi 3, but understandable given the small scale production and specialized hardware. €300 would be better, but that's probably unreasonable to expect.

Not really slamming anyone in particular over the lack of availability, just somewhat frustrated. I got interested in buying an AmigaOne maybe 2 years ago, and since then I havne't seen one available for purchase anywhere. They're always listed as Unavailable or Out of Stock.

Offline JimmiG

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
Quote from: Jezry;814072
I would love a set top box thingy with amiga os on and games just autostart when you put them in.
Most people remembers amiga for games and they dont care if its wrong fpu. As long as it works.
I want a tabor if its in my pricerange.

Well if you just want to run old games, there are options like RetroPie and MIST.

The Tabor and X5000 are more for people who want to pretend they live in an alternative timeline where everyone uses NG Amigas :)

Offline JimmiG

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
Well the "IBM PC standard" of the 80's/90's is so detached from the current standards of modern PC's that they really don't have anything in common.

ISA, VESA, even PCI were slow, inefficient, error prone and difficult to deal with (IRQ conflicts etc. I remember spending weeks trying to get a UART ISA card to work in my mom's 386). However these days we use PCI-Express, USB 3, SATA, UEFI, HDMI, NVMe etc. which are essentially legacy-free. Those standards weren't even conceptualized back then, and IBM has very little, if anything, to do with them. It's really not the "IBM PC" standard, it's just "the standard" these days.

Ironically, the same standards are used by Apple Macs (you can build a "Hackintosh" out of off the shelves PC parts) and of course even by AmigaOne systems - we plug in SATA drives, PCI-Express sound cards and Radeon video cards, DDR3 DIMMs or SO-DIMMs etc. The only differentiating factor is really the instruction set of the CPU, which only really matters if you're writing compiles or programming in Assembler.