Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS 3.1 applications under OS 4.1  (Read 7949 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: OS 3.1 applications under OS 4.1
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
Octamed
Sound Studio doesn't work on MorphOS, so that's one stick in the eye that OS4 has over it when it comes to compatibility with 68k apps.

It's a pretty major Amiga app too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:44:41 AM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:12 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;757963
OK, an naive question here.
If Hyperion has the right to use OS 3.1 source, why doesn't OS 4.1 have better legacy compatibility (at least as good or better than say a PC running Amiga Forever)?

The MorphOS team consists of some of the creme de la creme of Amiga developers from back in the day.

I'm not saying the OS4 devs are sh1t but they are not of the same calibre. Not even close.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »
Quote from: smf;757984
@Iggy

Do you have any particular software in mind that doesn't run and how the hell can you think that compatiblity should be higher than under emulation in winuae?

If some old software isn't working in os4, just let it be started from uae. So compatiblity is probably the best in any amigaos ever since you can run both amigaos4 exes & classic executables.

MorphOS runs 68k, PowerUP, WarpOS/WarpUP, OS4 and MorphOS binaries.
OS4 runs  68k, WarpOS/WarpUP and OS4 binaries.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;758011
Yes, I have seen that wrapper, I just have not been able to get it to do anything useful.

Well it runs x amount of programs from OS4  (mostly demos in my experience), which is x more programs than OS4 runs from MorphOS.

Even without that MorphOS is still compatible with more programs than OS4 making smf's claim an outright lie.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;758022
I wouldn't listen to Nic. He smells.....

REALLY *BAD*. :p:D

Indeed and because of that I'm not entitled to an opinion on any subject matter whatsoever in case others may convert to smelling really bad too. ;)