Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS 3.1 applications under OS 4.1  (Read 8075 times)

Description:

Offline Rob

Re: OS 3.1 applications under OS 4.1
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;757963
OK, an naive question here.
If Hyperion has the right to use OS 3.1 source, why doesn't OS 4.1 have better legacy compatibility (at least as good or better than say a PC running Amiga Forever)?

Stating the obvious but when running Amiga forever you are emulating the complete systems so if you're running 3.x then pretty much everything written for it runs.

With OS4.x or MorphOS you'll find that most apps that don't work fail because a particular piece of hardware isn't present.  If you ever ran Amithlon you'd have found the same problems even though there were no changes to the API and feature set like with 4.x and MorphOS.

On OS4.x you have the P96 fake native modes and there are some little third party utils called CIAgent and Blitzen which may help some software to run.  There maybe be similar stuff on MorphOS but I haven't used it extensively and sold my Efika on a long time ago.

Having said that, as someone who went from using a 3.x system to 4.x system for everyday computing I don't recall anything significant that I could no longer use.