Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.  (Read 4570 times)

Description:

Offline commodore_jim

• Show all replies
Re: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.
« on: May 31, 2003, 12:03:39 PM »
@Hasek

Without wishing to sound like some sort of fervent cheerleader for Commodore, I think it's unfair to lay all the blame at their door with the points you've made.

For a start, one thing was assured - the PC was going to become as big as it became, regardess of whether Commodore had survived or not.

Although Commodore may have kept the technological lead for a while, who knows? Perhaps they  would have been forced to completely re-evaluate the Amiga, dropping the custom hardware to remain competitive. Or maybe they would have licensed the chipset out to interested parties for Amiga clones or other technologies.  Perhaps they might have dropped the Amiga altogether. Who knows?

As for the hard-drive issue, this was something of a vicious circle and the software publishers of the time need to accept some responsilibltiy also.

Commodore didn't ship hard-drives with early Amigas such as the 500 because most of the popular games software, i.e. arcade games, were not hard-drive installable.

Conversely, many software publishers didn't make their games hard-drive installable since Amigas weren't shipping with hard-drives installed (although I suspect this was a convenient excuse used by many publishers to produce non hard-drive installable titles, as copy protection would be even more difficult).

What was needed was for one side to show some faith and Commodore did this by shipping the 600 and 1200 with hard-drives as optional extras.

Still, many developers refused to play ball.

Of course by this time Commodore was haemorrhaging money and many developers were jumping ship anyway.

Tee-hoo.