Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cross Platform Programming  (Read 2597 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Cross Platform Programming
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
When Novacoder says "AmigaOS" he means not "AmigaOS 4.X" :-)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
I think PortablE supports different platforms, then VBCC has different targets too (not AROS though) and then of course AmiDevCPP. And there is FreePascal but only different implementations (AROS version is the newest). Amiblitz now works everywhere (as far as I know) including AROS 68k (that is my personal favorite)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:10:53 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
AROS 68k was already running on Arcade but I do not know the situation now because Jason is very busy right now. But I assume it will run on it (at least as one option). The Tina project even makes marketing on their site with AROS Vision :-). So it is common for both new platforms. Generally I think Amiblitz is easier to learn and perfect for 68k but of course not for AmigaOS or MorphOS. So if you want to make 68k programs and want to have something that is easy to learn, offers full system support (68k) and that also runs in most cases on other platforms I think it is a good option. If your main target are MorphOS or AmigaOS a crosscompiler like AmidevCPP (C) is the better option (harder to learn of course). Amiblitz was used for lots of different projects including commercial games so it is certainly not a bad choice. One example for applications developed with Amiblitz is HD-Rec. And it is still in development.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:28:05 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
Download Amiblitz from sourceforge and test it. There are examples in it including 3D Cube using Stormmesa and at least on my emulated system it runs like hell :-). I have not done that much with Hollywood (yet) but I think it is basic "inspired". So it is easier to learn another basic than jumping to C. XAMOS development is stopped atm.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
AF?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;734869
Thanks, I need to pick up Amiga Forever 2013. edit:
I miss having it.
I miss new hardware more.

ah I see. Amiga Forever is one good option. And Aros 68k another one. And for real hardware there is now FPGA Arcade (and hopefully even better hardware in future)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
even from a commercial view is 68k the best option right now (most users and developers, most software including compilers, most documentation, running almost everywhere including Android). That "might" change with a native Raspberry AROS version but that is not reality right now. AROS 68k is even used in Icaros and Aeros for 68k emulation so 68k offers the biggest base. Only if you want to use specific features of f.e. AmigaOS (4.X) or MorphOS you have to use real crossplatform compilers for development.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
it is certainly too slow for highend graphic applications. I do not think the results would be very fun. But perhaps others with more Hollywood experience can say more about it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:18:42 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
nice demo. But demos are all coded in assembler and not in a high level language. I do not know if that is possible (supported) by any of the languages. But a really good effect.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;734878
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiftizQoNY
I noticed in this demo that there is multiple layers.
How is this?

there is a thread about this topic:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28957&sid=70fb69a1f6a2d05a5b2c01a05cc477ea

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »
I am not a expert (yet) but i know that there is a example that is using stormmesa and it is full supported

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:36:22 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
I found a explanation from "Wanderer" Thilo Köhler that MESA is full integrated

Source-Code (screenshot) from example 3d_cube

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
What software?

And it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to do crossplatform-development (that here would mean covering all "amigian" platforms) you will (propably) have to use C or (perhaps) PortablE or Hollywood. If you want to develop 68k software for 68k environments you have different additional choices.