Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MySQL Gurus, Help!  (Read 958 times)

Description:

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
MySQL Gurus, Help!
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:13:26 AM »
I'm trying to revive some old websites. I recently found the backup disc with all the files. Problem is, I don't know what version of MySQL the server was running. What I have are the files from the MySQL data directory and not export .sql files.
Is there a way to find out what version of MySQL created them. It has to be one of the old versions of version 3 or early version 4 maybe 4.1.  Due to the changes from version 3 to 4 and changes in early version 4 to 4.1 the files are not compatible across versions, as far as I know.

Offline Caius

• Show only replies by Caius
Re: MySQL Gurus, Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »
Quote from: Argo;529497
I'm trying to revive some old websites. I recently found the backup disc with all the files. Problem is, I don't know what version of MySQL the server was running. What I have are the files from the MySQL data directory and not export .sql files.
Is there a way to find out what version of MySQL created them. It has to be one of the old versions of version 3 or early version 4 maybe 4.1.  Due to the changes from version 3 to 4 and changes in early version 4 to 4.1 the files are not compatible across versions, as far as I know.

What kind of files is it that you have exactly? The raw database data used internally by the MySQL server, or pure SQL dumps?
Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
Re: MySQL Gurus, Help!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:15:50 AM »
so uh, try the last v3 and the early v4. is it really that hard to do?? binaries exist for all versions in abundance and building from source is piss easy. just make sure the machine you run it on now, is endian same as the machine they came from.
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor