Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"  (Read 50220 times)

Description:

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »
It would be intresting to hear the decisionprocess when they decided on the CPU, if for no other reason, to get an idea about their future plans.

olegil made a comment on AW "Wouldn't worry much about drivers, the QorIQ peripherals are fairly simple to support.".

And noticed during the interview with one of the Fridens that hes considering Chrome instead of Timberwolf.

Either way, with Cloanto talking/working with Toni with regards to proper PPC emulation, I can see AOS software sales (what there is available) go up a little bit.
Regarding proper PPC emulation; will that tap into MorphOS availability?
Would be intresting if we could install up to date versions of MorphOS/AROS/AOS via Amiga Forever, even if the installer require you to have a registered version inputting your details etc.

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:00:44 PM »
AOS is available via AF/emulation, but like with many things Amiga, it require the enduser to follow long "how to do this step by step" guides that might or might not work.
And without solid prior knowledge about the system(s), its usually not obvious why the guide didnt work. Usually the user did something wrong, but what and how?
AF/Amikit for example; select Download, and then answer yes and upgrade a few times and 3 minutes later you have a pimped out version of Workbench 3.
Personally I wont be deterred by userunfriendly procedures, but not everyone have that attitude, espesially for something they initally just take as their hobby or tour down memorylane of their youth.

Its how AOS PPC installation should be made too. Lately Ive been dabbling with my A1200 both hardware and software. Quite a few programs be it hardware support/drivers throws "require MUI", "missing abcxyz" library or wrong version.
Its quite annoying, but on the flipside, it forces me to re-learn navigating around the system again.
BUT its not really what you want OS wise, even at hobby level, if you want more people to use it. Trevor and others have made it quite clear its a hobby, even a "serious" one.
And the mantra for all OS's is development of software AND being able to actually support the coders with money thru purchases (for Daniel/Daytona that means coffe and sigarette money).
Then the bar of entry needs to be lowered; aka make it easy Amiga Forever style to use any OS.
Make it "plug and play" easy, people might even end up staying ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:06:15 PM by Niding »

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »
@Spectre660    

Ignoring all the indepth discussion about pros and cons;

I guess you have had expirience with SAM440 or 460.
How do you feel (subjectivly) about the performance of Tabor vs the SAM lineup?