Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The NEW A.Org  (Read 8407 times)

Description:

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;454770
I like the old amiga.org much better than this.  This new format makes it much more difficult to find things.

Give yourself time to adapt to things and also wait for the site (which is a work in progress) to get finalised before deciding it is more difficult.

I've only been using it a day and I am already finding it quite easy to navigate. :)

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:39:59 AM »
Quote from: mingle;454777
Hmm... me no likee...

I tend to agree with ferrellsl... Very tricky to get a good 'overview' of what's going on...

Part of the reason I don't visit EAB much is that (while it does sometimes have some useful info) it's not very user-friendly or appealing to look at. The old Amiga.org was just right.

There's more to Amiga.org than the forum, but these days a lot of sites (for reasons we all know) seem to migrate to these 'generic' forum based layouts and lose a lot of what made them great places to visit...

I've just signed up to the 'other' Amiga site - the one that looks a bit like the old Amiga.org :-) Feels like I'm back home already! :-(

I don't think I'll be visiting amiga.org very often now, since I need to give my eyes (and brain!) a break!

Just my $0.02 - no offence to the mods and the hard work they've put in (I know - I've been there!)

Cheers,

Mike.

I guess you didn't pick up the part about it being a work in progress eh? :confused:

Only the forum has been ported. The site is in beta. Much work remains outstanding.

Oh well, I guess there's only so many times this message can be repeated.

Haste is waste,  patience is a virtue and all that.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;454963
I agree.  The C64 lettering is lame.  People who like that horrible blocky font are the same people who think the Amiga died in the 1980s and never upgraded.  In reality my AmikitOS looks much better than my WindowsXP OS. So let Amiga.org use a normal font.

How you reached that conclusion is beyond me.

I just like it because it is cool. It's a design thing. A bit like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. :p

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »
Quote from: zombi;455046
I have one suggestion about the bulletin board.

I don't know what the other people thinks but for me the title parts of the forum post (user information part) are wasting too much space. (I'm displaying the board with 1440x900 wide screen)

I think, instead of putting that information on the top of the message we may place it on the left side as the old board. It would be more compact and easy to follow.

That's entirely possible as I have seen it done on other Vb sites but it is a feature of the theme.

Hacking the theme is probably not too high on the To DO list.

Maybe Wayne will look into it once more pressing issues are out of the way.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:57:45 AM »
Quote from: save2600;455026

Ahem... the calendar is cute! Is there going to be birth dates and anniversaries of important Amiga people and goings on we can click on?  lol

I'm not sure if you know this but you can add events to the calender as a registered user. Click on the calendar tab and look at the bottom righ hand side of the page where it says "Add Event"

So if you want to add Jay Miner's birthday for example, you can go ahead and do it. ;)

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »
Quote from: AeroMan;455018

Congratulations!

... Is there a manual anywhere? :D

Yes here:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq

:)

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
The NEW A.Org
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;455081
I've been through a similar "upgrade" in another longstanding forum.  As in that one I see now new functionality here. Are there any improvements at all?  Is it just change for changes sake?

It's change that was necessary.

If you haven't follwed the threads that explained it all you won't understand.

Anyway, even though it was a forced move the new site does have a lot more modern features. Just spend some time exploring and you shall see.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show all replies
Re: The NEW A.Org
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:36:25 PM »
Quote from: Krischan76;455500
Still most of this works with AWeb.

Is this a bug?

:lol: