Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240025 times)

Description:

guest11527

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #704 from previous page: September 03, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
I can replicate this as well. Definitely starting to look like a bug was accidentally introduced in the cycle gadget.
The 3.1 version just printed that the directory was in component #n of the path, which was not very useful at all. (How do you count that and why is this
useful information?) 3.1.4 prints the full font path. I now added a code to check for paths that are too long. In that case, the name is now abbreviated.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #705 on: September 03, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
Thanks!  The bigger thing is that that there is no way to add another font path to the cycle gadget list.   In 3.1, you could add a path and that would show up in the cycle gadget list.   This is not happening anymore.   

Side point -- getting the Intellifont template with the 3.1 version in the shell shows 1 option only, VALIDATE/S. In 3.1.4 it is VALIDATE/S, NODISKSCAN/S

I can replicate this as well. Definitely starting to look like a bug was accidentally introduced in the cycle gadget.
The 3.1 version just printed that the directory was in component #n of the path, which was not very useful at all. (How do you count that and why is this
useful information?) 3.1.4 prints the full font path. I now added a code to check for paths that are too long. In that case, the name is now abbreviated.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #706 on: September 03, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »
Side point -- getting the Intellifont template with the 3.1 version in the shell shows 1 option only, VALIDATE/S. In 3.1.4 it is VALIDATE/S, NODISKSCAN/S

NODISKSCAN
Disables the initial automatic disk scan.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #707 on: September 04, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »

NODISKSCAN
Disables the initial automatic disk scan.

The corresponding tooltype should be added to the icon in the 3.2 release as well.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #708 on: September 04, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
The 3.1 version just printed that the directory was in component #n of the path, which was not very useful at all. (How do you count that and why is this useful information?)
It's not useful on its own, but in conjunction with the path listed in the textfield gadget just above I think it makes sense.
3.1.4 prints the full font path.
Not necessary, in my opinion, as per above.
I now added a code to check for paths that are too long. In that case, the name is now abbreviated.
Thanks, that'll help, but I still think the cycle gadget is displaying redundant information.

Perhaps some screenshots will make it easier to explain.

Here's 3.1:
3.1_1.png: A just-started Intellifont under 3.1. Workbench:Fonts (path gadget) is recognized as the first component of Fonts: (cycle gadget).
3.1_2.png: I've clicked the cycle gadget. Path gadget changes to Work:PageStream/SoftLogik/Fonts and the cycle gadget changes to acknowledge it's the second component of my Fonts: path.
3.1_3.png: I've typed Work: into the path gadget, and the cycle gadget helpfully informs me that it's not part of the Fonts: path.
3.1_4.png: I've typed a nonsense path into the path gadget and the cycle gadget informs me it's not valid.

And here's 3.1.4:
3.1.4_1.png: A just-started Intellifont under 3.1.4. Workbench:Fonts (path gadget) is repeated in the cycle gadget.
3.1.4_2.png: I've clicked the cycle gadget. Path gadget changes to Work:PageStream/SoftLogik/Fonts and so does the cycle gadget. I don't see a reason to print this information twice.
3.1.4_3.png: I've typed Work: into the path gadget but the cycle gadget changes to Work:PageStream/SoftLogik/Fonts again. I have no way of knowing whether I've selected my intended Fonts: component (e.g., if I mistyped the path or selected the wrong directory from the ASL requester).
3.1.4_4.png: I've typed a nonsense path into the path gadget. Same behavior as 3.1.4_3.png.

Meanwhile, I can confirm my_pc_is_my_amiga's account that something is different in the startup scanning behavior. I think Intellifont always scanned DF0: (and root directories of other volumes?), but now it's scanning root and first-level directories across my whole hard drive as well. Is that the intended behavior or is that a bug?

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #709 on: September 05, 2019, 04:00:07 AM »
Thanks Matt_H for taking the screenshots -- those are very good!   What screen grab program are you using?

guest11527

« Reply #710 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
It's not useful on its own, but in conjunction with the path listed in the textfield gadget just above I think it makes sense.
For that, you must have first selected the cycle gadget, which is not necessarily the case, e.g. with CycleToMenus.

Thanks, that'll help, but I still think the cycle gadget is displaying redundant information.
Sorry, I don't agree. It was displaying useless information. How is the font path enumeration relevant to the function of the program? How do you know which font path element corresponds to which directory without selecting it?

3.1_3.png: I've typed Work: into the path gadget, and the cycle gadget helpfully informs me that it's not part of the Fonts: path.
3.1_4.png: I've typed a nonsense path into the path gadget and the cycle gadget informs me it's not valid.
How is it useful to install fonts into something that is not part of the font path? The program should rather go back to one of the font paths if an invalid font is selected.

3.1.4_2.png: I've clicked the cycle gadget. Path gadget changes to Work:PageStream/SoftLogik/Fonts and so does the cycle gadget. I don't see a reason to print this information twice.
Because it allows a quick access if you have CycleToMenu installed. The font path enumeration is useless as information to the user.

3.1.4_3.png: I've typed Work: into the path gadget but the cycle gadget changes to Work:PageStream/SoftLogik/Fonts again. I have no way of knowing whether I've selected my intended Fonts: component (e.g., if I mistyped the path or selected the wrong directory from the ASL requester).
The program should indeed refuse this input and revert the gadget to one of the available paths.

Meanwhile, I can confirm my_pc_is_my_amiga's account that something is different in the startup scanning behavior. I think Intellifont always scanned DF0: (and root directories of other volumes?), but now it's scanning root and first-level directories across my whole hard drive as well. Is that the intended behavior or is that a bug?
That is intended, of course. It should scan all media, not just some media. It is getting even weirder - depending on the file system of the media, it scanned in different formats.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »
That is intended, of course. It should scan all media, not just some media. It is getting even weirder - depending on the file system of the media, it scanned in different formats.

But valid font directories that are not in the FONTS: assign are not showing up in the cycle list.

Offline Steady

« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2019, 01:25:22 AM »
How is it useful to install fonts into something that is not part of the font path? The program should rather go back to one of the font paths if an invalid font is selected.

Perhaps it will help if the string gadget is also changed to reflect the same valid font path with some text in highlight pen stating that an invalid path was selected. Obviously some room would need to be added for that.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #713 on: September 06, 2019, 03:36:20 AM »
Thomas, thanks for your answers. Some additional thoughts:

For that, you must have first selected the cycle gadget, which is not necessarily the case, e.g. with CycleToMenus.
Aha! There's the issue: the UI design you're suggesting makes sense with CycleToMenu, but not without it. Maybe it's time to start bundling that commodity with the OS? Or building the functionality into GadTools?

Sorry, I don't agree. It was displaying useless information. How is the font path enumeration relevant to the function of the program? How do you know which font path element corresponds to which directory without selecting it?
I looked at the successor program in OS4, TypeManager, and its cycle gadget does both, e.g., "#1: Workbench:Fonts", "#2: Work:PageStream/SoftLogik/Fonts", plus a "Not in Fonts: path" option. Maybe that's the approach to follow.

I could envision a scenario where someone would want to install some fonts in the directory of a word processor or DTP program but not have them be part of the system Fonts: path, so the option to select a non-path directory should remain.

Because it allows a quick access if you have CycleToMenu installed. The font path enumeration is useless as information to the user.
I understand the reasoning now. See above re: CycleToMenu.

The program should indeed refuse this input and revert the gadget to one of the available paths.
I think the 3.1/OS4 behavior is better, e.g., notifying the user that it's not in the path, in case that's the user's intent like in the word processing/DTP scenario I mentioned. If the entered directory itself is invalid there needs to be some way of alerting the user that something is wrong (to replace the behavior shown in 3.1_4.png) - simply reverting to a path component makes it look like a bug. If you don't want to print an error in the cycle gadget, maybe pair the revert with a beep/screen flash?

I'm finding what I think are additional bugs in the current 3.1.4 version as well. After a non-path directory is entered and the cycle gadget is clicked again, the cycle and path gadgets get out of sync, so it's not clear where the newly installed fonts will end up.

Interesting. I'm not quite sure I understand the rationale, but I've got the NODISKSCAN option so I'm happy. :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #714 on: September 06, 2019, 07:28:48 AM »
e.g. with CycleToMenus.

with what?

http://aminet.net/search?query=CycleToMenus

"Found 0 matching package(s)"

What are you talking about?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline nbache

« Reply #715 on: September 06, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
Try the singular: CycleToMenu

Best regards,

Niels

Offline kolla

« Reply #716 on: September 06, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »

Thanks!

If this functionality is so important that it affects OS development, then it should probably be incorporated.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #717 on: September 07, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »

If this functionality is so important that it affects OS development, then it should probably be incorporated.

It’s been on the list already, but don’t moan if it doesn’t make it into next release, ok? :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #718 on: September 08, 2019, 01:37:42 AM »
It’s been on the list already, but don’t moan if it doesn’t make it into next release, ok? :)
I will only moan when it comes into the OS, but isn't possible to turn off.

Like the requesters of OS 3.1.4. They pop up with "Cancel" right under the mouse button... I never had any issue with requesters on Amiga, but now I find myself pressing "Cancel" by accident without even having had a chance to read what the requester was about. No way to turn _that_ damn "feature" off? I want the requesters to pop up like they used to - in the upper left corner, far away from where I am working, thank you very much!
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #719 on: September 08, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
No way to turn _that_ damn "feature" off? I want the requesters to pop up like they used to - in the upper left corner, far away from where I am working, thank you very much!

Have your tried the ASL prefs program to change position and then used the "Override application" option?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:19:58 AM by my_pc_is_amiga »