Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4.0 on Laptop  (Read 8017 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Amiga OS 4.0 on Laptop
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
Quote from: lassie;709184
That was a shame. What do i need to get it? i thought i could emulate it
i suggest if you're interested in next-generation amiga computing, you visit a site that hasn't been taken over completely by whack-jobs and ask your question there, such as amigaworld.net or amigans.net. you can also visit the official amigaOS website for a basic introduction or intuitionbase.com.

there are loads of other sites, too. just search on the 'net. :)

now to try and answer your question directly: there are plenty of both new and used next-gen amiga systems which run amigaOS 4.x for you to choose from.  among the systems shipping today include the amigaone X1000 at the high-end and the amigaone 500 in the middle.  both offer good performance but are a tad pricey.  moreover although they both support much newer technologies than any other amiga NG systems -- such as PCIe-hosted radeonHD video cards -- those cards don't currently have working 3D support, so you'd have to wait for OS4.2 for that.

other systems include the SAM440ep-flex boards, which can be had new for under e300. those systems work quite well, but are quite a bit slower than modern PC hardware or indeed any of the other amiga NG systems. i have one, and really enjoy it for playing games, watching standard-resolution videos, and the like. web browsing is a bit poky, though, in my experience.

then you have systems from the previous generation of amiga NG machines.  the amigaone XE is a good option, but you need to be careful. a few of these boards had hardware issues, so only purchase one if the seller is someone well-known in the community.  a mini-ITX version, the micro-A1, is a lovely little board, but unfortunately you're limited to only 32MB of video memory, so using it with a huge display is a bit tough.  and of course there is the pegasos2 board from genesi, which i also have.  a good compromise and all-rounder, the G4-based board works great as a next-gen amiga and can also run linux, morphos, and even older versions of mac OS X.

you might find this comparison table useful in your investigations.

lastly there was a netbook announced at amiwest last year which would ship for around $400USD inclusive; we haven't heard anything since, though, so keep your eyes and ears open as news from amiwest 2012 trickles in next month.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Amiga OS 4.0 on Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Duce;709206
You didn't answer my question though, TMHG.

I've been itching to reg MOS on my PB, as I do really enjoy the OS and heartily recommend it to anyone who will listen - is inbuilt wifi supported?

A laptop I need to plug into ethernet is effectively a paperweight to me.
no, it isn't; at least not yet. neither is 3D graphics supported either with the R300 chipsets. both are coming eventually, though.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."