Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini  (Read 21792 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »
The following article was submitted to us by an Amiga.org member that wishes to reman anonymous. She is a long time Amiga artist and lurker on this site but rarely posts. She has owned Amiga's over many years going back to the Amiga 1000 she purchased in 1985. She is upset about the recent turn of events and wanted to express her opinion on this site and asked us to share it. She also gave us one rule, her identity must remain private. We will publish her article and honor her one wish.

Article Start

I have always loved the Amiga and appreciated it for what it really is. A tool for artistic expression and visual creativity. I don't post on forums much but I do read ones that cover my favorite computer tool. Since CommodoreUSA had nothing Amiga related for sale I have ignored their posts so far and had no opinion of them. I never owned a C64 or a PC so they had nothing worth paying attention to for me. This all changed recently when CommodoreUSA started selling the Amiga Mini, something that has no relation to any Amiga I have ever purchased and loved. I don't understand CPU's, GPU's and other computer gibberish but I know and love the artistic tool called Amiga that I have used since 1985 and this is not it.    

Where is the Amiga operating system? Where is the essence of what I know and enjoy? I have now done a little research about CommodoreUSA and here is my conclusion. They are Takers just like the movie. Instead of robbing a bank they are trying to rob a community of artistic computer enthusiasts. This is different than growing pains or just making mistakes. DiscreetFX has done that in the past and said sorry. But at least they are Amiga fans and put money into the community. They saved Amiga.org, they even started the whole bounty system with AmiZilla that many other bounty systems later copied.

I found no evidence that CommodoreUSA have ever put anything into the Amiga community. They only want to take. Thier hand is in your purse or wallet asking for money even before the product is nothing more than a Photoshop image. I won't be giving them even $1 of my hard earned money and I recommend you do the same. They are welcome to try and change my mind, just show me one thing they have ever done for the Amiga Community. I don't live in a vacuum, I want to know long time fellow Amiga owners opinion of my article and CommodoreUSA. Thanks for reading and please share.

Article End
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:25:19 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

• Show all replies
Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »
@Middleman

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at CUSA but so far it appears all they have done is make some custom cases for PC's and included a free Linux Mint OS with some script modifications. This is very low cost and very low risk. They can correct me if I am wrong but I have not seen any risk or any innovation taken so far. ClusterUK and ARES does the same thing and they are little outfits. At least they include AROS with their offering and put money back into the community. Has CUSA ever put any money into the community? What pressure is CUSA under? No one asked them to do what they are doing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:31:13 AM by SysAdmin »

• Show all replies