Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When is an FPU chip really needed????  (Read 7011 times)

Description:

Offline UberFreak

• Show all replies
Re: When is an FPU chip really needed????
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
Quick answer: over 90% of demo-scene productions created since the late 90's, when 040 and 060 became the standard in competitions.
If you want to enjoy the best today's demo-scene has to offer, you need an (overclocked) 060.

The "standard" compo-machine in the biggest scene event in recent years (Revision party in Germany) is an AGA Amiga with 060 CPU running at 66Mhz.
Everything created for this setup freely assumes an FPU is available.

Offline UberFreak

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
No argument from me.
The most innovative stuff comes from the C64 scene, which is the only one I'm semi-active in.
I also agree with sticking with A500 specs. If you check last Revision's results, you'll see A500 demos are making a serious comeback :)

AGA/060 demos can be compared to early Pentium-1 demos.
Many (Most?) of them are "just" C2P based and can be easily ported to other platforms (as proven by Atari Falcon ports of TBL demos).
Still, I enjoy watching the ones that run at acceptable speed on a 50Mhz 060 and don't require overclocking (Hi, Elude...).

Quote from: Thomas Richter;827343
Did I ever say that I do not understand this stuff? Frankly, if I want to get the most of a machine, I'll get a PC. If the competition is to get the most out of as little as possible, stick with a plain 68K at 7MHz and get creative. That is the art. Heck, even a 1.7Mhz 6502 can do interesting things if you know how to play it.

Offline UberFreak

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;827344
That's not a compelling argument for the Vampire getting a FPU ASAP (or a Classic user to upgrade to be honest) as most 'regular' users will just check out Amiga demos on YouTube if that scene interests them!

If I have the real HW, I dont want to have to watch demos made for it on YouTube.
Whats the point?

Heck, I only got a BPPC+BVision so I could watch a handful of demos made for this combo on the actual HW :hammer:

For me, its the real thing or nothing, regardless of platform.

Offline UberFreak

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:25:44 AM »
Quote from: kolla;827358
Vampire is nice for watching demos from YouTube after having them tediously converted and downscaled to suitable mpeg1 using ffmpeg or whatever (preferably on much faster system).

Low blow, but you win :)