Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MovieShop won't launch under OS 3.2.1  (Read 2211 times)

Description:

Offline jaesonkTopic starter

• Show only replies by jaesonk
MovieShop won't launch under OS 3.2.1
« on: June 19, 2023, 05:41:57 AM »
I'm doing a rebuild of my A4000 as a vintage nonlinear video edit system using VLab-Motion & Toccata boards.  I also have a Retina BLT Z3, 256MB RAM Z3 card, and a WarpEngine upgraded to a rev5 68060.

The system is fairly barebones on the installation side.  I have a clean OS 3.2.1 install with OS 3.2.1 ROMs.  I followed that with an install of the newest P96 and have that working with the Retina BLT Z3.  Workbench is opened on an 800x600 8bit screen.

Next was getting MovieShop and Toccata software installed.  I did clean install of MovieShop 4.3 from original floppies.  When MovieShop launches there is some drive activity then nothing, no error messages.  It should open a screen with a splash window showing version and developer info.  After trying to run MovieShop, I can not launch other applications.  I can't open a shell or run showconfig for example.  Something behind the scenes is hung up.  If a program is already running, before launching MovieShop, I can still use it.  The system isn't completely frozen.

I attached a SnoopDos log file.  Where is fails to load DraCo or DMotion stuff, that's because it's not on DraCo hardware so those things weren't installed.  Let me know if you see anything else that stands out.

Someone suggested  disabling AsyncWB.  I did but it didn't resolve the MovieShop problem.  I removed other items one-by-one from WBStartup and didn't find a solution for MovieShop.

I tried using a 2nd VLab-Motion board but the problem persisted.  I also tried it without the 256MB Z3 RAM card.

I did have MovieShop up and working fine with a prior AmigaOS install.  If I don't find a solution for OS 3.2.x, I can pop the old ROMs back in and attach the previous boot drive.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Jaeson

Offline mechy

Re: MovieShop won't launch under OS 3.2.1
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 04:18:32 PM »
I looked at the snoopdos attached log and i see nothing out of the ordinary. Did you have this setup running under 3.1 with the newest p96 or was it with a older p96?  I would maybe fall back to old p96 and try that if not.
Other than that the only thing i can think of is something in the vlab is tied to 3.1 but the log suggests otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 04:57:21 PM »
Thanks for looking over the SnoopDos log.

I can take a look at an older P96, or try CyberGraphXv4 (if that's OS3.2.x friendly).

I didn't get to a point where I could set a MovieShop screenmode, so I expected it to default to a native display mode initially.  I have a second monitor attached to display anything not opening on the Retina.

Jaeson

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 07:27:17 PM »
I tried using an older version of P96 that I used with a previous MovieShop set-up, but it didn't fix the problem under OS 3.2.1.

I also tried using ModePro to catch MovieShop and promote it, but ModePro didn't respond to launching MovieShop.  SysInfo tries to open a native screen and ModePro intercepted that.  So maybe something in OS3.2.1 is causing MovieShop to hang before it even tries to open a screen.

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 09:07:05 PM »
Well that seems to eliminate P96 as the problem. Sorry i can't be of more help. I hope you figure out what it is. Not sure if you really gain much by going to 3.2 on a system like that,but i would like to know what the problem is for no more than the knowledge.Was there something you wanted in 3.2?

Offline Castellen

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 09:15:22 PM »
I can confirm that MovieShop v4.3 runs fine here with OS3.2.1.  Not sure what's different about your system, I'm using an RTG screen (Picasso IV) with P96 v2.1b.

Did you remember to run 'VMinit' first to initalise the VLab Motion board?  Not sure what happens if you don't.

Attached is the SnoopDOS log of it starting normally, plus a screen shot.

And this is my system configuration if you wanted to compare anything:
http://amiga.serveftp.net/sysinfo.xgi

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 11:54:32 PM »
Thanks.  It's hopeful to know that it does work on someone's set up.  I'll take a look at your SnoopDos log, thanks.

Are you on an A4000/060 too? What's your hardware set-up?

I have VMInit installed in WBStartup.  Do you have it there, or in user-startup, or run it manually?  What other programs do you have in WBStartup? 

Could you set your MovieShop to a native NTSC/PAL screenmode like 640x480 temporarily, save it, then send me your MovieShop.prefs file?  It's stored in Prefs/ENV-Archive/MovieShop/

I ran into one other application years ago that couldn't/wouldn't open because the default screenmode was something unavailable.  It might have been Cinemorph.  I had to save a prefs file on another Amiga then copy it over.  It didn't cause any other system problems though.

I downloaded the OS 3.2.2 updates to see if they'd have any impact on my issue.

Jaeson

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 12:41:56 AM »
I installed OS 3.2.2 and then OS 3.2.2.1, trying MovieShop after each step, each time resulting in the same problem.

SOLVED: MovieShop won't launch under OS 3.2.1
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 01:38:52 AM »
Making some progress now!

I'm rearranging ZORRO cards.  My initial card order (bottom to top) was:  Toccata, Retina, 256MB Z3 & custom RCA slot cover (for VLM Component & internal Toccata audio connections), and VLM.  When you connect the Component Video card to the VLM, you can't put anything in a slot above it, even a small card like the 256MB one.  So I was hoping, I could use in the top ZORRO slot and have access to the other 3 slots.  I also liked having smaller cards below for better heat dissipation from the motherboard.  The VLM is the largest card, full length.

After moving the VLM to the bottom most slot and only installing the Retina.  MovieShop launched without problems.  MovieShop can be used without an audio card installed.  Power down, reinstall the Toccata and the problem came back!  I swapped it out with a 2nd Toccata that I have, tried again, and MovieShop worked!.

So, something is wrong with the first Toccata card.  This explains why ToccataInit caused problems when placed in WBStartup.  I'll have to look this card over another time with another Amiga.

I then went back to the original card order with VLM in the uppermost slot.  I really didn't want to loose a slot by placing VLM further down.  MovieShop opened successfully with the original slot order.

Thanks to everyone that offered different suggestions.  Even if they didn't solve the problem, they gave me some further trouble-shooting ideas and I learned a few new things along the way about the new AmigaOS. 

Jaeson

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 01:53:51 AM »
MovieShop v4.8 splash window.