Amiga.org

Operating System Specific Discussions => Amiga OS => Amiga OS 4.x (future) Hardware Compatibility Discussions => Topic started by: ddniUK on August 17, 2015, 12:14:36 PM

Title: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: ddniUK on August 17, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
This week, I will have owned an AmigaOne X1000 for 3 years.
I was an ardent classic user and this machine was my first AmigaOS4 experience.
Despite the surprisingly glacial pace of OS development, I have enjoyed the X1000. AmigaOS has developed steadily during this time and is much more stable and feature rich than the update5 install I first encountered.

I am constantly impressed by the third party developers out there who invest their free time to create interesting and sometime essential programs for AmigaOS

The usual old bug bears continue to gnaw at me though;

The promised AmigaOS4.2 license still hasn't arrived.
Half of the CPU is unused.
The onboard ethernet driver continues to be locked away.

I am not ranting about these things (lord knows there have been enough threads that have), but it would be really nice for AEon and Hyperion to get together and produce a formal news release detailing the current position on HW/OS development...
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: magnetic on August 17, 2015, 05:12:41 PM
Its pretty cool you own an x1000 that's a very exotic computer. Its amazing that you are surprised with hyperions lack of development and promise fulfillment. Their track record speaks for itself. Pathetic.
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: number6 on August 17, 2015, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: ddniUK;794056
This week, I will have owned an AmigaOne X1000 for 3 years.
I was an ardent classic user and this machine was my first AmigaOS4 experience.
Despite the surprisingly glacial pace of OS development, I have enjoyed the X1000. AmigaOS has developed steadily during this time and is much more stable and feature rich than the update5 install I first encountered.

I am constantly impressed by the third party developers out there who invest their free time to create interesting and sometime essential programs for AmigaOS

The usual old bug bears continue to gnaw at me though;

The promised AmigaOS4.2 license still hasn't arrived.
Half of the CPU is unused.
The onboard ethernet driver continues to be locked away.

I am not ranting about these things (lord knows there have been enough threads that have), but it would be really nice for AEon and Hyperion to get together and produce a formal news release detailing the current position on HW/OS development...



What you ask for already happened August 1, 2015:

Hyperion podcast (http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2015-08-00001-DE.html)

#6
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: eliyahu on August 17, 2015, 05:22:29 PM
Quote from: number6;794074
What you ask for already happened August 1, 2015:

Hyperion podcast (http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2015-08-00001-DE.html)
Vielleicht könnte ein deutsches Mitglied ins Englische zu übersetzen?

-- eliyahu
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: number6 on August 17, 2015, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: eliyahu;794075
Vielleicht könnte ein deutsches Mitglied ins Englische zu übersetzen?

-- eliyahu


Heh. ok...

Pavlor's brief summary in his own words (http://www.amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40454&forum=2#765540)
Better?

#6
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: Bennymee on August 17, 2015, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: ddniUK;794056
This week, I will have owned an AmigaOne X1000 for 3 years.
I was an ardent classic user and this machine was my first AmigaOS4 experience.
Despite the surprisingly glacial pace of OS development, I have enjoyed the X1000. AmigaOS has developed steadily during this time and is much more stable and feature rich than the update5 install I first encountered.

I am constantly impressed by the third party developers out there who invest their free time to create interesting and sometime essential programs for AmigaOS

The usual old bug bears continue to gnaw at me though;

The promised AmigaOS4.2 license still hasn't arrived.
Half of the CPU is unused.
The onboard ethernet driver continues to be locked away.

I am not ranting about these things (lord knows there have been enough threads that have), but it would be really nice for AEon and Hyperion to get together and produce a formal news release detailing the current position on HW/OS development...


That is a great story.

Comparing OS 3.x to 4.1 on new hardware, AmigaOne 500 in my case, it is a big leap forward. I'm also happy with it !
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: apsturk on August 18, 2015, 12:29:37 AM
I bought my first Amiga in 2013. My AmigaOne X1000 arrived in February 2015 and I am very happy with it. I have been donating lots of money (far more that I paid for the X1000) to many Amiga OS4.1 developers and have bought about every bit of software I could find so far. Having lots of fun and looking forward to all the great stuff to come after the SDK is out.
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: F1Lupo on August 18, 2015, 12:59:26 AM
@ddni

my goodness time flies when we're having fun (http://www.amigans.net/uploads/smil3dbd4d4e4c4f2.gif)

looking forward to the journey of getting full dual core support, and use of full 4GB ram and HD Radeon vram
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: Pyromania on August 18, 2015, 02:00:11 AM
Congrats, upgrading to X5000?
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: ddniUK on August 18, 2015, 08:25:04 AM
Not until my PASemi releases it's magic blue smoke!
Title: Re: Amigaone X1000 - 3 years in.
Post by: blakespot on January 06, 2016, 03:20:45 PM
Quote from: ddniUK;794056
This week, I will have owned an AmigaOne X1000 for 3 years.
I was an ardent classic user and this machine was my first AmigaOS4 experience.
Despite the surprisingly glacial pace of OS development, I have enjoyed the X1000.


What are your core go-to apps?


bp