Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PCTask vs PCx vs Emplant e586 what is the best PeeCee emulator  (Read 8515 times)

Description:

Offline Pentad

I too thought PCTask was very good back in the day.  I remember having Windows 3.0 or 3.1 running in it when I was at university and people were impressed.

I could be wrong but didn't the author also have a blurb in the manual (like in the fine print) about how pirates can burn in hell and other colorful metaphors? I'm fairly certain I remember reading that either in the manual or maybe in one of the text documents on the disk.

Good times,
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline Pentad

Re: PCTask vs PCx vs Emplant e586 what is the best PeeCee emulator
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »
Quote from: JimDrew;825504
I wasn't involved with transmeta, that was years after the work I did with Motorola's programmable microcode core.

Like I said, Apple had nothing to do with Motorola's involvement with PPC, that was all IBM's doing.  Joe and I met with IBM and were asked to consider making our x86 emulation core available for PPC native platforms as a substitute for Intel based systems.

I met Scully (and a room full of engineers) in Cupertino around the same time to discuss ROM licensing for the A4000/EMPLANT bundle.  That was an interesting trip.  :)

Jim could you expand on your interaction with Apple? I thought Emplant was an amazing product at the time and wonder what Apple thought of it? I had a 4k maxed out with a 24bit card during the later half of my university days and it ran circles around other Macs at the time. Faculty and fellow students were amazed that it was a multitasking emulator.

Also, do you know anything about the 64bit CPU chip that Apple was working on before PPC? Both Andy Hertzfeld and Carl Sassenrath's have spoke about it over the years. They each talked about Jobs setting up an advanced research group for the future of Apple.

Andy felt that Jobs was looking for more vertical integration and Apple making their own CPU would give them leverage. An advanced 64bit CPU to leap frog Motorola would have helped secure the Macintosh's future. However, Scully purged all things Jobs after the the failed coup.

Great memories of Emplant though!
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE