Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga  (Read 8468 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;762365
If you take the time to watch Dave's awesome talk, he says clealy that the C= engineers were constantly trying to push the technology... But the C= management would cancel any project that looked even slightly expensive... We were stuck with OCS for 5 years... Followed by ECS, and as Dave explains in the video, a very slight upgrade to AGA... Which was basically ECS where the C= had managed to figure out how to double the data rate on the bus for no extra cost...

It is not always so simple. A failed research project could drain all money out of the company and Amiga didnt boom until Amiga 500 was launched in 1987. In Amiga history 1987 is quite late.

I said nothing about impressive, I answered your original assertion of original. The only thing impressive about the ipad (other then the battery life) is the quantities in which people purchased it...

Hey, its 2048x1536 retina display on 10 inch display is quite nice. Many new laptops dont support more than 1920x1080 pixels.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:02:31 AM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;762381
??? -Parse error...

Actually text is what makes the ultra high resolution iPad display worth it... Pictures are naturally antialiased, with few sharp edges and so looks fine even at low resolution (as long as you have a high colour gamut)... But text looks horrible on low res displays no matter what... On the iPad it looks like printed text!

Iggy made assumption that higher resolution would mean cramming more text and images to 10 inch display which is not case here. It is just that text and images are displayed in higher detail.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »
Quote from: matthey;762369
hazydave:
If the MorphOS people would like to swear in public that not a line of code or comment is copied from the AmigaOS sources or derived from the Phase 5 code (fruits of a poisonous tree, in legal terms), I will not mention MorphOS again.
Personally, it doesn't matter as whoever owns the Amiga technology isn't using it (was the Amiga Inc. transfer quid pro quo?). Even if the MOS developers did copy the sources, it's like stealing from a dumpster. I hope they make good use of anything they have been able to save.

By the way... AmigaOS 4 is toxic. AmigaOS 4 is poisoned by developers who have seen MorphOS and AROS source code. I dont know if any of MorphOS developers have seen AmigaOS source code but I know that RJ Mical has seen AmigaOS source code and did consult MorphOS developers long ago. But it doesnt end there. AmigaOS developed at Commodore was poisoned by developers who had seen source code from other operating systems and ideas were adopted to AmigaOS.

But hazydave's view are understandable. He is not a software guy and he is just wrong about everything software related.

It did take a while for the Amiga to become popular as the price was high but C= was still making a lot of money off the C64 and paying it's high level executives millions as Haynie mentioned in the speech.

But Amiga had not been proven successful.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:46:31 AM by itix »