Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga  (Read 8464 times)

Description:

Offline pwermonger

• Show all replies
Re: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:59:29 PM »
The entire reason for these talks was the history of development of the computers.
Chuck Peddle back in 2007 was brought in to talk about the PET. no one expected him to talk about the current state of the PET. Bob Russel and Bill Herd were also there to talk a bit about post Peddle and PET 8Bit
Bill Herd in 2012 was brought in to talk about the development of the 8bit line he was involved in through the 128.
Dave Haynie was brought in to talk about Amiga development he was involved in under Commodore.

Are there other people who could have talked about these things? Yes. Haynie gets a lot of buzz since he goes out and talks about it. Herd is the same, he goes out and talks about it.

I don't see a reason to be negative about the guy for, when asked, saying yes he will go give a talk about the time at Commodore

Evidenced by the people who attend these, there are folks interested in Computer history like this. Not just people who were into the scene back then but also people who are new to it or were owners of competing computers back then.

Don't bust on the guy because he doesn't talk about OS4 or MorphOS (and I do use and love MorphOS on my PowerBook) since those aren't what he was involved in engineering for.

He talks about what I expect him to. Amiga 2000-4000 era and AAA which was in development when Commodore went under.

And finally, Dave gave his explanation about the MorphOS statements back on April 2011. Seem pretty cut and dry to me.
 Far as I've seen, not that my research is exhaustive on it, the MorphOS folks haven't exactly come out and stated they have not used any Amiga code, or Phase5 code which is the code in which Commodore owned code was seen
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:29:28 PM by pwermonger »

Offline pwermonger

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:29:15 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;762306
No your "research" on this is pretty lame.
And Dave's comments were based on hearsay.

[...]

BTW - Maybe its just that I was never that impressed with Commodore, its hardware, or its engineers.

Hearsay only matters in court. But it really is totally irrelevant to me.

Something to keep in mind is, if not for the Commodore Hardware and its Engineers, there would be no Amiga OS 4 right now, or MorphOS.

They made Amigas that could hold accelerators, that allowed Phase 5 to make the PPC accelerator that needed PPC software that started them adding it to Amiga OS, that eventually evolved into MorphOS.

Offline pwermonger

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;762399
So basically Haynie and friends legacy of work would have died and Amiga would have become yet another Windows machine (albeit on a RISC platform). Sounds like a losing proposition.

Frankly, this part of the story make me MORE satisfied with where we, the community, took the platform.

We're still here, and Haynie is history.

Actually the processor being developed for Hombre was chosen because, though it didn't have 68k emulation modes like the PowerPC, its instructions were close enough to 68k to make porting easier. The designers of the Hombre wanted AmigaOS, management didn't since they wanted a machine to sell more quickly to make money which Commodore was running out of (or had run out of) at the time. So taking an OS off the shelf (Windows NT) was a faster way to do that.

You can see easily from the documents he has released from the later days at Commodore, that the designs as documented never had an intention of omitting the Amiga Operating System but making the Amiga modular to make it easier to adapt it to the accelerating developments in hardware by companies dedicated to specific parts. Something Commodore could not do as a general developer anymore especially with less money going to chip development.

Their work on the DSP that should have been in a 3000+ (I recall reading about that machine in magazines back in the day and being excited at what it could do) was proven a winner by the well regarded Macs that came out much later. It certainly wasn't the engineers choice to drop that.

Having the first 040 card during the 3000 debut which was apparently so impressive that Motorola would come with a gold chip just to show it, only to have management decide not to show it was another thing you cant fault the people creating the designs.

Commodores desire to sell (when they did try to sell something) for a low price was more a threat to the company then the designs. Amiga was a much more complex and capable design than Macintosh. Apple could surely build the Mac for a lot less than an Amiga just take a look at the motherboards to see that and couple that with less software development the original Macs being black and white and single tasking, but sold them for more money. Same thing they still do to this day with their iPhones and iPads and did with the Apple II. Each Mac (or anything else) Apple sold put more money in their bank. They never cut price to the bone like Commodore did. Not something that can even remotely be blamed on the engineers developing the products.

Offline pwermonger

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;762430
The PowerPC didn't have any 68k emulation modes, it could run in big endian mode though.

They chose the HP RISC because they could buy modify the core and Ed Hepler was big on that type of design. It's the same reason the Arm took off.

Not a developer so not sure how it does it. Just that when it was finally done, PowerPC could run 680x0 code reasonably.

But I do know from interviews posted with Dr Ed Helper that it still was not complete in the PowerPC at the time they were developing Hombre, and no one even knew at that time if it would ever be done so it was not a cut and dry choice. That Motorola was leaving the 68k architecture was clear. So a solution had to be found to keep making machines that continued to advance.

CD64 design ideas were based off Hombre and included Kickstart loading from CD (to save on ROMs and make updating easier). Which shows that it wasn't the engineers idea to leave out AmigaOS.