Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any plans to increased the AmigaNG software?  (Read 5795 times)

Description:

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
Re: Any plans to increased the AmigaNG software?
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:43:08 AM »
I know some people are not going to like me asking this (and others will be grateful), but do you plan to port these software to MorphOS and/or AROS as well?

I guess a regrettable "no" would make sense since A-EON/Amigakit is, for perfectly natural reasons, AmigaOS 4 centric. On the other hand a "yes" answer would also make sense since the potential revenue would at least double (fair estimate but not a scientific one).

Offline amigakit

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
Hi

AmigaKit is primarily Classic based really, not AmigaNG.  The vast majority of our customers are Classic users.  There are a lot of talented MorphOS developers out there, whom were former Classic developers, so we are all aware of their talents. If a MorphOS developer came to us with a good idea and it made commercial sense, then we would consider it, of course.  Especially if we could back port it to Classic too.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;775245
Hi

AmigaKit is primarily Classic based really, not AmigaNG.  The vast majority of our customers are Classic users.

this goes without saying i guess.

There are a lot of talented MorphOS developers out there, whom were former Classic developers, so we are all aware of their talents. If a MorphOS developer came to us with a good idea and it made commercial sense, then we would consider it, of course.

interesting. a good commercial idea is something rather remote and ilusoric in the widest understood amiga community i suspect. im not even sure if digibooster, which being commercial apparently is an uniquity, makes any commercial sense in its classical understanding. how would you explain "making a commercial sense" would actually look like from your pov.

edit: correcting myself, digibooster isnt actually in mos market since there are versions for all amig-oid sytems except aros-x86 afaik. digibooster also is an uniquity as actually having a distributor.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:46:00 PM by wawrzon »

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;775235
One of the essential things identified is porting back the changes on the AmigaOS 4 version to the AmigaOS 3 version.

Not sure what is really meant here, porting back OS4-features to OS3.x ? Or just making making sure that new features added to say a OS4-version of ArtDeptPro are also made available in a OS3.x-version of ArtDeptPro.

DPaint is obviously very popular but has (moste likley) a few stopgaps :
- closly tied to the OCS/AGA chipsets
- parts written in assembler or worse languages
- owned by a company which wouldn't even react to such questions

What might be a good canditate is the MorphOS version of Papyrus, AFAIK only some minor legal problems and a runaway coder that lead to this to be mouthballed so dramatic.

Sources should be gcc-clean and the required level of MUI available to all systems (including 68k and maybe even AROS).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 02:06:04 PM »
Amistore is for AOS 4, A-EON is a AOS 4 hardware maker. I thus assumed that this endevor was leaning that way. My bad :)

Offline amigakit

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
@Yasu

AMIStore is for AmigaOS 4 and we are working on an AmigaOS 3 version too.  There will be a mix of software available on there for Classic and NG.

@Kronos

I remember buying a load of licences for Papyrus back 5 years ago(?) to support the developer.  Unfortunately nothing came of it, but I spent a few hundred on the enterprise.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;775214

Watch this space.  

Since announcements are likely to coincide with the AmiWest show, I'll be taking this advice.  (Along with watching every other Amiga/AROS/MorphOS/Arix/etc. website I frequent.)

This could turn into something really really good!  Or maybe not!

Offline amigakit

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »
The negotiation for one particular piece of Classic Amiga software that I am having currently involved in will more than likely extend over the date of Amiwest.  

One thing I have learned (the hard way) over the last year, is that software development in the Amiga market is a long process.  We operate full time in this business but most of the developers we work with do not, they do the Amiga work in their spare time (usually reserved for family time).  

Anyway back to today's AMIStore development work ...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:11:42 PM by amigakit »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »
A modern version of ADPro would be something I'd spend money on.

Offline swoslover

• Show only replies by swoslover
    • http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Relictronic-Boutique
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
A word processor?

A question. Have sales of the os increases since emulation of the powerpc has become possible?
A1200
CD32
A4000

Offline kamelitoTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;775235
One of the essential things identified is porting back the changes on the AmigaOS 4 version to the AmigaOS 3 version. Paying developers is very expensive in terms of the number of potential sales in the Amiga market at this point of time. So maximising the user base is essential for these projects to be commercial sound and at least break-even.

Since WinUAE and FS/UAE are supporting PPC classic I'm sure you've seen an increase of sales for Amiga 4.x for classic OS. I would imagine that if Amiga OS 4.x features were porting back to the Classic OS, then you'll sell even more. It would be nice to have another team dedicated to the development of Amiga OS for 68k.

Kamelito

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »
While I understand and commend that new Amiga software is created for NG operating systems (in fact, if quality original (that is non-ports) software for AOS4 was available it would make my decision to buy a Sam460CR or not much easier), I cannot see what kind of software do Amiga classic users (Amiga 500/600/1200) would need that is not already available? What kind of software is needed, and would run decently on an A1200 with an 030 CPU, and is not already available?

Offline kamelitoTopic starter

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
@AmigaKit

ADPro
ArtEffect
SAS/C kind of IDE but with modern features
Imploder/Powerpacker :)
ImageMaster
GFABasic like basic
Monkey (successor of Blitzbasic see Monkey-x.com)
Scala
Photogenics
AudioMonster
ImageFX

Being English you should try English software companies first like Hisoft, and while being at AmiWest you should make appointments with formers US Amiga developers houses.

In general Aegis/ASDG/EA applications software.

Since Jim Drew is back to the C64/Amiga scene even if classic, it would be nice to have some sort of Amicygnix but for Apple PowerPC software, maybe not Cocoa stuff but Classic/Carbon is doable.

Kamelito
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:11:45 AM by kamelito »

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;775248

What might be a good canditate is the MorphOS version of Papyrus, AFAIK only some minor legal problems and a runaway coder that lead to this to be mouthballed so dramatic.

Sources should be gcc-clean and the required level of MUI available to all systems (including 68k and maybe even AROS).

+1 here, although I never had a chance to try it, it seemed it was nearly finished ! was it only for MOS ?

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 04:11:51 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;775245
Hi

AmigaKit is primarily Classic based really, not AmigaNG.  The vast majority of our customers are Classic users.  There are a lot of talented MorphOS developers out there, whom were former Classic developers, so we are all aware of their talents. If a MorphOS developer came to us with a good idea and it made commercial sense, then we would consider it, of course.  Especially if we could back port it to Classic too.

There is many titles you could port from MorphOS to AmigaOS but they are open source and maybe not so interesting commercially.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 20, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;775253
The negotiation for one particular piece of Classic Amiga software that I am having currently involved in will more than likely extend over the date of Amiwest.  

One thing I have learned (the hard way) over the last year, is that software development in the Amiga market is a long process.  We operate full time in this business but most of the developers we work with do not, they do the Amiga work in their spare time (usually reserved for family time).  

Anyway back to today's AMIStore development work ...

If you have success to get updates for 68k software I would welcome that